Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Steve Byk

Default 9/4 (PRX): Smarty Jones, Greenwood Cup, Turf Monster (G3's), LeVine

Old 09-01-2017, 11:24 PM
Oriental Park

The Smarty Jones is a fairly competitive race from the looks of it.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
The Smarty Jones is a fairly competitive race from the looks of it.
It amazes me how much money is out there to be gobbled up by 2nd, or even 3rd tier 3year olds...
Old 09-01-2017, 11:43 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
It amazes me how much money is out there to be gobbled up by 2nd, or even 3rd tier 3year olds...
Wow, didn't even notice the purse.

The top 2 here might take a stab at the $1.25 Pennsylvania Derby next. The also-rans can run for a mere $400K in the Oklahoma Derby the same weekend.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:51 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

That Jim Dandy try sure sapped Pavel forever.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:00 PM
The Curragh

Moving up the 3-year-old charts fast...especially with a bunch of them sucking @ss right now.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Oriental Park

socal dirt horse on the road on the east coast....7/2. thx all
Old 09-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
That Jim Dandy try sure sapped Pavel forever.
More after-the-fact posting. Where were you before the race? This board would benefit from some more diverse pre-race discussion.

At any rate, who knew a drop from Grade 1 to Grade 3 would be benefit an inexperienced horse?
Old 09-04-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
More after-the-fact posting. Where were you before the race? This board would benefit from some more diverse pre-race discussion.

At any rate, who knew a drop from Grade 1 to Grade 3 would be benefit an inexperienced horse?
I must've missed when they made the Jim Dandy a Grade 1. And yeah, what a huge drop in class this was, considering how well the Jim Dandy horses came back to run in the Travers.

You're the one who wrote off the horse's entire career because they decided to take a shot with him, I told you you were being ridiculous. That was before the race, wasn't it? God forbid you eat a little crow. Best to just go on making excuses for your smug, unfounded trashing of his connections.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
And yeah, what a huge drop in class this was, considering how well the Jim Dandy horses came back to run in the Travers.
Nice try, but seeing how Pavel ran off the board in the Jim Dandy and won this race by open lengths, what does that tell you about the field today (if you couldn't tell from the past performances)?

Quote:
You're the one who wrote off the horse's entire career because they decided to take a shot with him, I told you you were being ridiculous.
You're just putting words into my mouth. I suggested he ought to have pointed for something like the El Cajon at Del Mar. Sure enough, they regrouped and went for a second tier stakes. Good for them, logical move.

Funny enough, you laughed at the El Cajon, a race that drew Grade 1 winners and classic placed horses with the winner registering a triple digit Beyer.

Of course, I guess there's always the possibility that the plan all along was to win a sprint debut late in the season, run off the board in the Jim Dandy next out, and then put it all together in the Smarty Jones at Parx.

Quote:
That was before the race, wasn't it?
You've got to be kidding. Your last post on Pavel was over a month ago, but you're gonna suggest it was in reference to a start in the Smarty Jones?

Quote:
God forbid you eat a little crow.
Why would I eat crow? I was singing the horse's praises in terms of talent all along. But as I said before, this is a long-term game and just because Pavel recovered from a botched and overreaching try in the Jim Dandy to win a Grade 3 at Parx doesn't mean it was the right move to run at Saratoga nor that he'll be handled more conservatively in the future. He'll obviously now knock heads with West Coast in the Pennsylvania Derby next and regardless of performance will probably show up in the BC Classic.

If I eat crow about anything its for saying the Jim Dandy was a Grade 1 after drawing two classic winners.

Quote:
Best to just go on making excuses for your smug, unfounded trashing of his connections.
Unfounded?

Bad Read Sanchez, Ontology, Know More, Wake Up Nick, Ralis, Found Money, Sam's Ace, Frensham, B Squared, Land Over Sea, Jimmy Bouncer, Indexical, Gomo, Bond Holder, He's Had Enough, The Humancomplaint, Boxer des Rues, Rum Point, Electric Eddie, Concave, Eddie's First, Morning Coffee, Blabimir, You Missed It,...
Old 09-04-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Nice try, but seeing how Pavel ran off the board in the Jim Dandy and won this race by open lengths, what does that tell you about the field today (if you couldn't tell from the past performances)?

You're just putting words into my mouth. I suggested he ought to have pointed for something like the El Cajon at Del Mar. Sure enough, they regrouped and went for a second tier stakes. Good for them, logical move.

Funny enough, you laughed at the El Cajon, a race that drew Grade 1 winners and classic placed horses with the winner registering a triple digit Beyer.

Of course, I guess there's always the possibility that the plan all along was to win a sprint debut late in the season, run off the board in the Jim Dandy next out, and then put it all together in the Smarty Jones at Parx.

You've got to be kidding. Your last post on Pavel was over a month ago, but you're gonna suggest it was in reference to a start in the Smarty Jones?

Why would I eat crow? I was singing the horse's praises in terms of talent all along. But as I said before, this is a long-term game and just because Pavel recovered from a botched and overreaching try in the Jim Dandy to win a Grade 3 at Parx doesn't mean it was the right move to run at Saratoga nor that he'll be handled more conservatively in the future. He'll obviously now knock heads with West Coast in the Pennsylvania Derby next and regardless of performance will probably show up in the BC Classic.

If I eat crow about anything its for saying the Jim Dandy was a Grade 1 after drawing two classic winners.

Unfounded?

Bad Read Sanchez, Ontology, Know More, Wake Up Nick, Ralis, Found Money, Sam's Ace, Frensham, B Squared, Land Over Sea, Jimmy Bouncer, Indexical, Gomo, Bond Holder, He's Had Enough, The Humancomplaint, Boxer des Rues, Rum Point, Electric Eddie, Concave, Eddie's First, Morning Coffee, Blabimir, You Missed It,...
Yeah all those superstars in any other hands. Good grief. I've never seen someone put more effort into not admitting they were wrong. Hats off.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Yeah all those superstars in any other hands. Good grief. I've never seen someone put more effort into not admitting they were wrong. Hats off.
Again...what was I wrong about?

The Jim Dandy remains a stupid spot to run the horse. He was unsuccessful and it did nothing for him. He would have been in the Travers otherwise (then I would have eaten crow). Yeah, he won a second tier race at Parx today, but no one was disputing that the horse was talented.

And Reddam has a lot of options for the horse now that he has Irap waiting for the Penn Derby. Who knows? Maybe the Arc is in the offing for Pavel.

At any rate, you clearly are still smarting from the Abel Tasman discussion, which is the only reason you chimed in on my Pavel/Jim Dandy post in the first place. Glad your grudge got you to post again after a couple weeks absence.

Hopefully Pavel is able to run a few more times lest you disappear completely.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Again...what was I wrong about?

The Jim Dandy remains a stupid spot to run the horse. He was unsuccessful and it did nothing for him. He would have been in the Travers otherwise (then I would have eaten crow). Yeah, he won a second tier race at Parx today, but no one was disputing that the horse was talented.

And Reddam has a lot of options for the horse now that he has Irap waiting for the Penn Derby. Who knows? Maybe the Arc is in the offing for Pavel.

At any rate, you clearly are still smarting from the Abel Tasman discussion, which is the only reason you chimed in on my Pavel/Jim Dandy post in the first place. Glad your grudge got you to post again after a couple weeks absence.

Hopefully Pavel is able to run a few more times lest you disappear completely.
Yeah I'm still smarting. That's how much you mean to me. The bottom line is, you said running in the Jim Dandy would ruin the horse, and he came right back and won a $350,000 race in a canter. Now you're putting out more smugness about running him in the Arc, because you're pissed off that the horse isn't crippled from running in the Jim Dandy. Guess they didn't hear that the El Cajon is the natural springboard to a Hall of Fame plaque.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Hialeah Park

After seeing Pavel draw off like that today, I'm sure that has Doug O'Neill drawing up a contingency plan for Irap if he's serious about keeping him and Pavel from racing against each other prior to the BCC. The Awesome Again was mentioned, pretty logical. O'Neill's bar seems to be holding pocket Queens preflop! Can't wait to see how the BCC unfolds -- going to be one HELL of a wagering event.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 09-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
The bottom line is, you said running in the Jim Dandy would ruin the horse, and he came right back and won a $350,000 race in a canter.
The bottom line is I said the Jim Dandy was a terrible race for the colt's second start and that it potentially could derail a promising career. Then I suggested that the horse should have been in a lesser race. That's exactly what the Smarty Jones was. None of your blustering is going to cover up the fact that (a) he tanked in the Jim Dandy and (b) he indeed found winning form in a lesser race.

To hear you tell it ("he almost beat two classic winners!") he should have been in the Travers.

Quote:
Now you're putting out more smugness about running him in the Arc, because you're pissed off that the horse isn't crippled from running in the Jim Dandy.
Oh, I'm so sorry you don't like sarcasm. I suppose the Arc joke was a little heavy handed. I guess if I said the Jockey Club Gold Cup was a logical spot after winning a Parx Grade 3 you would have been all right with it.

As far as the wishing the horse ill-health, that's pretty pathetic on your part, but not surprising. You keep reading into my posts what you want to read. I look forward to some more unsolicited post-race discussions with you.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
The bottom line is I said the Jim Dandy was a terrible race for the colt's second start and that it potentially could derail a promising career. Then I suggested that the horse should have been in a lesser race. That's exactly what the Smarty Jones was. None of your blustering is going to cover up the fact that (a) he tanked in the Jim Dandy and (b) he indeed found winning form in a lesser race.

To hear you tell it ("he almost beat two classic winners!") he should have been in the Travers.

Oh, I'm so sorry you don't like sarcasm. I suppose the Arc joke was a little heavy handed. I guess if I said the Jockey Club Gold Cup was a logical spot after winning a Parx Grade 3 you would have been all right with it.

As far as the wishing the horse ill-health, that's pretty pathetic on your part, but not surprising. You keep reading into my posts what you want to read. I look forward to some more unsolicited post-race discussions with you.
Sorry if I don't think it's worth seriously engaging with someone who thinks Bad Read Sanchez and B Squared would've been superstars if not for their owner, or that the El Cajon is a race worth pointing to with a top-class 3-year-old, or that Mike Smith doesn't know what he's doing because he narrowly beat a "four-horse Delaware stakes winner" who then came back to destroy the field in the Alabama. I look forward to more smugness and total unwillingness to consider other viewpoints, even when you're shown to be a total nitwit pretending to know more than some of the most successful people in racing. Really makes for great discourse.

Last edited by ateamstupid : 09-04-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:59 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
This board would benefit from some more diverse pre-race discussion.
I do some pre-race discussion...........but I'm usually wrong about 98% of the time.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:01 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
socal dirt horse on the road on the east coast....7/2. thx all
That is kind of amazing how it seems to shake out.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
After seeing Pavel draw off like that today, I'm sure that has Doug O'Neill drawing up a contingency plan for Irap if he's serious about keeping him and Pavel from racing against each other prior to the BCC. The Awesome Again was mentioned, pretty logical. O'Neill's bar seems to be holding pocket Queens preflop! Can't wait to see how the BCC unfolds -- going to be one HELL of a wagering event.
Irap seems very fond of the middle portion of the country.......the Oklahoma Derby on 9/24 is worth 400k.
Of course the Pa. Derby seems to be right in Irap's wheelhouse.........that might be the ticket.
Pavel......beats me,he probably needs a race exactly one month from now.
I suppose Santa Anita..............But Baffert is going to have a bunch of monsters hanging around that meet.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Sorry if I don't think it's worth seriously engaging with someone who thinks Bad Read Sanchez and B Squared would've been superstars if not for their owner
Oh, so Pavel's a superstar now after winning a Parx Grade 3? Never mind that I never said that any of the horses I listed were superstars, but any person who can read a past performance (even a completely rage-blinded cretin) can see that each of those horses' careers were completely derailed by bad management. Maidens in stakes, Grade 1 comebacks for non-stakes winners, etc. In many cases, the ends of those careers were not pretty.

Quote:
or that the El Cajon is a race worth pointing to with a top-class 3-year-old
I guess you ignored all the Grade 1 winners that came out of that race that I listed in last months unsolicited post-race discussion. Oh, and you didn't notice that the classic-placed colt Battle of Midway romped over Santa Anita Derby winner Gormley and Grade 1 winner Klimt in this year's edition.

Quote:
or that Mike Smith doesn't know what he's doing because he narrowly beat a "four-horse Delaware stakes winner" who then came back to destroy the field in the Alabama.
More hyperbole. Smith rode a bad race, that's it. Nothing against his entire career. Apparently, you don't take criticism (even if it isn't directed at you) very well.

Oh, and as for Elate, yeah, I can't believe she won the Alabama with Abel Tasman noticeably absent. Shocking turn of events that she was able to beat a Grade 1 turf filly and a Grade 1 Polytrack filly.

Quote:
I look forward to more smugness and total unwillingness to consider other viewpoints
No, I considered your narrow viewpoint regarding the CCA Oaks, and I picked it apart. That's what a response with some substance entails. Not the silly name-calling and childish "Gotcha!" hit-and-runs that you specialize in.

Quote:
even when you're shown to be a total nitwit pretending to know more than some of the most successful people in racing.
You still don't realize that Pavel was an also-ran in the Jim Dandy. Well, at least you knew it wasn't a Grade 1.

And yet, he's already achieved superstar status in your "viewpoint".

Quote:
Really makes for great discourse.
Only if its post-race.