Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Oriental Park

Default Question on handicapping contests

I’m contemplating entering my first handicapping contest this year and figured I’d pose a few questions for people with more experience.

For NJ bettors, NJ has weird laws on gambling and online parimutuel wagers are limited to 4NJBets through TVG. Are NJ residents eligible to enter online tournaments on websites like horseplayers.com?

Generally, what’s your strategy? Does it depend on the card? I’ve seen the bets for the BCBC, which has different rules than a lot of these contests, and it looked like some of those guys just try to hit one or two big bets and preserve bankroll the rest of the time. Does that work in contests limited to WPS wagers (try to hit one or two big longshots and preserve bankroll in other races) or are you trying to hit as many winners as possible?

Assuming I’m even allowed to play on horseplayers, any recommendations or advice for my first contest? Is it a better experience to do it on track? I’m thinking of doing it at Monmouth at some point in the Summer.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:08 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
I’m contemplating entering my first handicapping contest this year and figured I’d pose a few questions for people with more experience.

For NJ bettors, NJ has weird laws on gambling and online parimutuel wagers are limited to 4NJBets through TVG. Are NJ residents eligible to enter online tournaments on websites like horseplayers.com?

Generally, what’s your strategy? Does it depend on the card? I’ve seen the bets for the BCBC, which has different rules than a lot of these contests, and it looked like some of those guys just try to hit one or two big bets and preserve bankroll the rest of the time. Does that work in contests limited to WPS wagers (try to hit one or two big longshots and preserve bankroll in other races) or are you trying to hit as many winners as possible?

Assuming I’m even allowed to play on horseplayers, any recommendations or advice for my first contest? Is it a better experience to do it on track? I’m thinking of doing it at Monmouth at some point in the Summer.
1. Yes you can play from NJ
2. Play online you can cut your teeth at a low cost entry.
3. Strategy is subjective.

Get Pete's book "The Winning Contest Player" plenty of strategies from the best contest players...
Old 01-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Keeneland

I echo JMS’s sentiments. You can play online for small amounts to kind of get used to it all. There is definitely a learning curve but at the end of the day it’s all about picking winners.

I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have via pm.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:11 AM
Longchamps

Quote:

Jim and Billy both play a lot more then I do and both have been at NHC so I defer to them. I didn't play as many as I liked this year and when I do its only NHC ones. Strategy is different for everyone but you need to dig deep into each race and really find value. There are quite a few free ones but those are tough as people sometimes just pick the same number each race and win. I think you will enjoy it. I never did one at a site.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:28 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
1. Yes you can play from NJ
2. Play online you can cut your teeth at a low cost entry.
3. Strategy is subjective.

Get Pete's book "The Winning Contest Player" plenty of strategies from the best contest players...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I echo JMS’s sentiments. You can play online for small amounts to kind of get used to it all. There is definitely a learning curve but at the end of the day it’s all about picking winners.

I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have via pm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Jim and Billy both play a lot more then I do and both have been at NHC so I defer to them. I didn't play as many as I liked this year and when I do its only NHC ones. Strategy is different for everyone but you need to dig deep into each race and really find value. There are quite a few free ones but those are tough as people sometimes just pick the same number each race and win. I think you will enjoy it. I never did one at a site.
Thanks guys. Good to know I can play the online ones since they’re cheaper but also because most of the ones on site at Monmouth are bad days for me.

I’ll probably have more questions after I play a tournament or two.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:43 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Thanks guys. Good to know I can play the online ones since they’re cheaper but also because most of the ones on site at Monmouth are bad days for me.

I’ll probably have more questions after I play a tournament or two.
I’ll let you know when free NHC ones are. You have to be NHC member to play. Have fun