Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Oriental Park

Question High Finance

Ok guys/gals let's hear it. I think West Point is crazy for sending this horse to the Belmont. The horse worked like a monster the other day and Coa had a hard time restraining him. Rick thinks the horse will love the added distance.
What do you think his chances are realistically and can he win on the front end going 1 1/2. All responses welcomed.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Secretariat

on the front end, like wire to wire, won't happen.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Narragansett Park

I think he'll have a tough time int he Belmont. There are a few horses in there who aren't going to out kick anyone, but can plod along at a pretty good clip for the whole 1 1/2 miles.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Secretariat

lets not forget this is america 2 beer race, at 2 and a half minutes long. (start 1 beer, finish it, race is on backstretch, open second beer for stretch call) and given that, i can';t imagine anyone in this group going wire to wire.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
Ok guys/gals let's hear it. I think West Point is crazy for sending this horse to the Belmont. The horse worked like a monster the other day and Coa had a hard time restraining him. Rick thinks the horse will love the added distance.
What do you think his chances are realistically and can he win on the front end going 1 1/2. All responses welcomed.
I don't think he can get the distance.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:59 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroughbred Fan
I think he'll have a tough time int he Belmont. There are a few horses in there who aren't going to out kick anyone, but can plod along at a pretty good clip for the whole 1 1/2 miles.
Same thing as Given, sharp horse, getting good now, likes the surface, doesnt have to ship, has handled the detention barn. Why not?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Narragansett Park

Never said it was out of the question. Just said I think he'll have it tough. And it would be a distance and level step up. Not my favorite angle.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
I told you on ESPN actually, but forget that place....he is nuts, unless he is lone speed and can get 26/52/118, then he has a shot.

I was all over this horse first out at Gulfstream, should have won that day but Bridgo used him too quickly

personally, I think this is the kind of move that can ruin a horse like this one. This horse has OBVIOUS talent, but it is really suspect that he gets more then 8.5 furlongs, from a breeding perspective. Why not at least try 8.5 or 9 furlongs first, before you try and go 12 furlongs, on the lead the whole way.

This horse could be a monster miler, from what I recall, he is pretty fast on TG and he looks mentally all there, don't fry him trying to go 12 furlongs off a 8 furlong race(Not sure if he last was 8 or 9 but I am going to go with 8)
Old 05-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Oriental Park

Default ok

let more info

on the 1:38 work he went out in 28 and closed in 1:10