Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Hoisttheflag

Default Silver Train to Suburban Handicap

His next start is expected to be the Suburban Handicap. Doubt he can stretch out that far but smart to take a chance on that track.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Secretariat

i doubt it as well, but its dutrow at home with dr allday.
so doubt takes a back seat to science.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Washington Park

People questioned Frankel when he asked his sprinter - Ghostzapper - to go two turns. Worked out okay for him if I remember correctly . Granted the Zapper was bred to go long being by Awesome Again and out of a Relaunch mare. Silver Train is by Old Trieste (Sinister Minister, Minister Eric), the speedster lethal at up to 9f in his career against lesser and very talented on his day. Also, Silver Train is out of a mare by Cormorant who is the oldest living sire of a Kentucky Derby winner (Go for Gin) and also sired Gander who knew his way around two turns. Personally I like the decision of keeping him at Belmont and trying to go longer. He could cap at 9f or so but I think with some luck he can get 10f.

~dustin
Old 05-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Saturday_in_May
People questioned Frankel when he asked his sprinter - Ghostzapper - to go two turns. Worked out okay for him if I remember correctly . Granted the Zapper was bred to go long being by Awesome Again and out of a Relaunch mare. Silver Train is by Old Trieste (Sinister Minister, Minister Eric), the speedster lethal at up to 9f in his career against lesser and very talented on his day. Also, Silver Train is out of a mare by Cormorant who is the oldest living sire of a Kentucky Derby winner (Go for Gin) and also sired Gander who knew his way around two turns. Personally I like the decision of keeping him at Belmont and trying to go longer. He could cap at 9f or so but I think with some luck he can get 10f.

~dustin
That horse is more Pico Central than Ghostzapper (he was a 10F horse, so I am not sure who questioned Frankel) but it is smart because he loves that Track. That race is probably will come up light anyway. I wonder if Sun King goes in that race too because he looked like he wanted a little more distance.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Secretariat

intereswting analogy dustin,
it seems like he is looking for a new St Liam himself these days. funny, this one they want to stretch out, and Sun king they want to shorten up, LOL
Old 05-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
intereswting analogy dustin,
it seems like he is looking for a new St Liam himself these days. funny, this one they want to stretch out, and Sun king they want to shorten up, LOL

They don't want to stretch out Silver Train, they just want another race over Belmont. I would imagine the Vosburgh and BC Sprint are his two targets for the fall.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Narragansett Park

1st Saturday, you my friend are high as a kite. Please never mention Ghostzapper's name in the same sentence as any current races horses.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroughbred Fan
1st Saturday, you my friend are high as a kite. Please never mention Ghostzapper's name in the same sentence as any current races horses.
Just an analogy, take it or leave it. Never compared Silver Train's abilites to those of Ghostzapper - simply stated that the situations were similar.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Secretariat

ghostzapper and his 7 race career = overated
Old 05-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Saratoga

this horse is not going to the Suburban, Dutrow was hitting the bottle too much when he said that......I would be surprised if he went, that is what I am trying to say...matter of fact, I hope he goes because he will be the underlay of the year....GO DUTROW, GO
Old 05-30-2006, 12:46 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
this horse is not going to the Suburban, Dutrow was hitting the bottle too much when he said that......I would be surprised if he went, that is what I am trying to say...matter of fact, I hope he goes because he will be the underlay of the year....GO DUTROW, GO
Rick loves to mess with peoples minds, hes great at it.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Morris Park

Talking

Yes, please never ever put Silver Train in the same breath as Ghostzapper. Kind of like comparing organic vegetables with those sold in gas station markets.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:

Watch how that field shapes up and see what he does. Right now they aren't expecting much. ST looked ok in that last 1/16 yesterday. Tiger will own the sprint division anyway.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:56 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip away
Yes, please never ever put Silver Train in the same breath as Ghostzapper. Kind of like comparing organic vegetables with those sold in gas station markets.
LOL!!
Both won a breeders cup race, both lost a race at Saratoga in their three year old years that they were favored in, each running 3rd. Both won the met Mile.
lol, but I agree.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:57 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
Watch how that field shapes up and see what he does. Right now they aren't expecting much. ST looked ok in that last 1/16 yesterday. Tiger will own the sprint division anyway.

Really? Well Anew sure owned Tiger two back, mopped the floor with him as a matter of fact
Old 05-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Narragansett Park

Hoist,

Did you say he looked OK in the last 1/16th? You too are high. Sun King beats him by open lengths if the race is another 1/8th. I guess you missed Sun King coming on????
Old 05-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
LOL!!
Both won a breeders cup race, both lost a race at Saratoga in their three year old years that they were favored in, each running 3rd. Both won the met Mile.
lol, but I agree.
Ghostzapper would have won this race by 6 lengths if he was in it. NO WAY ST is comparable. NO WAY...
Old 05-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Ghostzapper would have won this race by 6 lengths if he was in it. NO WAY ST is comparable. NO WAY...
Again, an analogy of circumstance, not an analogy of talent. I agree that Ghostzapper is the much better animal, far the best horse that I have seen in 3+ years of racing, but the situation is the same. Talented sprint whos trainer stretches out (if Silver Train goes in the 'Burban that is)
Old 05-30-2006, 01:02 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroughbred Fan
Hoist,

Did you say he looked OK in the last 1/16th? You too are high. Sun King beats him by open lengths if the race is another 1/8th. I guess you missed Sun King coming on????
That has got to be the stupidest logic I ever saw. If my aunt had a set on her she would be my uncle.
First of all, when the riders went to the gate they knew the race was a mile, not a mile an eigth, and they rode accordingly!!! Do you really think Prado woulda sped like that if he knew they had another eigth to run? Of course not. Also the training of the horses for that race was for a MILE!!! Workouts and gallops woulda been modified.
To use the finish of a race at a different distance and say soemthing like that makes absolutely no sense at all, as conditions in a longer race would have been totally different.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Narragansett Park

I am not going to disagree they may have trained differently. I will tell you that at the end, ST was all out to hold on and SK was just getting into gear. I am not saying some horse beaten 5 lengths would get him at a longer distance. I am telling you if the race were one more hop ST likely loses, becasue he was gased. I hope Dutrow can do it. I root for people not against them. But I do call the races as I see them.