Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Secretariat

Default my trip to Arlington memorial day

I don't know, it just wasn't a lotta fun.
i had 50 bucks to bet, i just couldn't find a damn thing on that program worth betting.
i get there for the 5th race was gonna stay till the end of the 8th or so. so i bet the 5th which is 7f around 1turn on the dirt a claiming race. its an 8 horse race, win pool is about 150,000 in total, the 5 and 7 combined have win bets of 3500.
so i do some dime super for $14 dollars part wheesl leaving these two out. well the ticket comes back wwith both the 5 and 7 in the top four. i can't make sense of it. so i decide to bet the met mile, and forget AP's crap.i wanted to get the 347 in an
exacta, sit down to watch the race my ticket says 237, so i now i doun't even have Silver train on the ticket. it was just a goofy day.
AP is like the worlds largest petting zoo, cept you can't pet the horses. nothng but kids and women, it was like a trip to the zoo, not the track, even the annoucer is a women.
when did taking toddlers to thre track with your wife become a good idea ??
Old 05-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Saratoga

Secretariat,

Are you from Chicago? what was your ESPN moniker if you had one?

Arlington is family friendly, always has been on the lower level. The real gambling starts on the 2nd level or in the degenerate pits. Outside and anywhere near the final turn it is circus city
Old 05-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Secretariat

its block,

i finally found a quiet spot on the third level, to watch the met mile before i left. looked like it woudl storm too.
that program was total garbage.
saw more 50 's on the drf then ever.
and beside that the PRICES have gone bazerk!

$5 bucks to get, in, but i doun't want a program i have the drf , how much without it, well its 5 you still get the program.
okay fine. $1 tools to get there, kids kids and more kids...

like i said it isn't really what a track should feel like.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Saratoga

I actually think it is EXACTLY what a track should feel like. It keeps the two different people away from each other, which in this case is a good thing. Families can go out there because in the party in the park area, there are other families. No mom wants there two young kids around a guy with a beer in one hand and a stoogie in the other. I think they do a great job in keeping the crowds away from each other.....I would be willing to assume that Arlington is one of the leaders in attendence throughout the year. I could be wrong becuase we only get 1 day of over 20k but overall, Friday/Saturday/Sunday/holidays are absolutely packed there
Old 05-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Secretariat

big surprise, you and i disagree.
personlly i don't think a mother and her children should be
anywhere near a race track, but that just old consrvative me.

i will never go there again on a weekend where i expect the crowd to be larger than 5000.
i may never go there again thats how bad a time a had there.
i would rather drive to the otb and watch at home.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Louisiana Downs

come on scav you couldn't guess it was block witht the 10 cent supers bet....blocky it sounds like you found the perfect spot you yourself. were you on the gradstand or clubhouse side of the 3rd level? I think the clubhouse side 3rd level is nicer and much more quite so it would be perfect for you blocky...tons of tellers and machines with nobody up there using them usless the governers room is packed. plus with a couple of minutes to post you can walk outside and get the best view of the race at the track right at the finish line.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Saratoga

are you talking about near Silk's or up a level?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Secretariat

the race i bet 10 cents super on, paid 550 for a dime,its the best value, someday when you bet with your money you will see that, it paid 11,000 for 1 dollar. why you think you are somehow above betting dimes is way beyond me.
if i can win 500 for betting 15 and get 150 chances at it, i'm there.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:24 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
the race i bet 10 cents super on, paid 550 for a dime,its the best value, someday when you bet with your money you will see that, it paid 11,000 for 1 dollar. why you think you are somehow above betting dimes is way beyond me.
if i can win 500 for betting 15 and get 150 chances at it, i'm there.
but if you bet it for a buck......
Old 05-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Louisiana Downs

scav its up a level from silks...nobody ever up there...pretty quite if you want to get away from everyone
Old 05-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Secretariat

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
but if you bet it for a buck......
thats just it matt, if i bet it for a buck, i'm hurtin till pay day 140 dollars ouch!,

but for 15, its not even a n issue money wise.

that ts the who;e deal, i dislike the feeling of loosing 150 bucks, A GREAT DEAL, whereas loosing 15 is more palletable.

sure you can win much more for a buck.
there is a happy medium here,

you cab bet for dime increments, 20, 30 40 cents,
stop at your pain threshold.