Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2006, 07:57 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Default sun king.....

well i was very suprised to see this one make a great move for second in the met...where would you guys spot him next...me it would be a turf try at 1.1/16...see if he likes it...
Old 05-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Oaklawn

I'd keep him on the dirt in races at a mile and under... He's becoming one of the top older sprinters in the country right now.. I don't know if I'd want to experiment with the turf at this point.. but what do I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
well i was very suprised to see this one make a great move for second in the met...where would you guys spot him next...me it would be a turf try at 1.1/16...see if he likes it...
Old 05-30-2006, 08:07 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyneedsawin
I'd keep him on the dirt in races at a mile and under... He's becoming one of the top older sprinters in the country right now.. I don't know if I'd want to experiment with the turf at this point.. but what do I know?
Hey if it ain't broke don't try and fix it. They have obviously found his strength. Its one turn races. Now at Belmont thats easy enough. Makes it tricky at Saratoga though. Perhaps the Forego up there.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyneedsawin
he looks to be able to go 1 and 1/8 on the dirt ..but as mike said 1 turn ..
Old 05-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Secretariat

Sun King, the dual qualifier, up for a second in the met mile, surprised me, and i lost my exacta
Old 05-30-2006, 08:43 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
Sun King, the dual qualifier, up for a second in the met mile, surprised me, and i lost my exacta
Blocky glad you could make it over.
But Blocky the Met Mile has no dual qualifying system. If you are referring to the outdated Dr Roman system that used to have high success in the Derby, Wilko also fit that mode and he failed to hit the board. Its meaningless voo doo.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Any horse that closes like he did at KEE is live. Speaking of closing, when did Sun King turn into a closer anyway? Isn't this the same horse that needed the lead as a 3YO?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Sheepshead Bay

7f to 1 turn miles for this guy, remember when he made his 3yo debut last year, 1 turn mile. The reason he was such a good price is because the Beyer was low at KEE, I used him in the 2nd spot of my tri, very happy with his run and not to mention Silver Train. My dad called me yesterday and told me he wanted to play a ex, he said he wanted to use Sun King and either Banidini or Silver Train, I told him what Oracle put up about Silver Train and told him to toss Bandini, he pounded it. He thanks you Oracle.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
7f to 1 turn miles for this guy, remember when he made his 3yo debut last year, 1 turn mile. The reason he was such a good price is because the Beyer was low at KEE, I used him in the 2nd spot of my tri, very happy with his run and not to mention Silver Train. My dad called me yesterday and told me he wanted to play a ex, he said he wanted to use Sun King and either Banidini or Silver Train, I told him what Oracle put up about Silver Train and told him to toss Bandini, he pounded it. He thanks you Oracle.

Tell him hes quite welcome!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Morris Park

Sun King was never all that fast. He made the lead in route races that were void of other speed. Its not like the horse ever went 22.3. Zito has worked him into a closer in shorter races and it is seemingly working. But lets get this straight, Sun King was never a front runner in the real good races, just the minor ones where he beat dogs. Turning into a useful horse.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip away
Sun King was never all that fast. He made the lead in route races that were void of other speed. Its not like the horse ever went 22.3. Zito has worked him into a closer in shorter races and it is seemingly working. But lets get this straight, Sun King was never a front runner in the real good races, just the minor ones where he beat dogs. Turning into a useful horse.
Did you watch last year's Haskell?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:38 AM
eurobounce

I think Zito found Sun Kings calling. He is suited for sprint races. He is a sprint closer. I think he could be a good horse in the Breeders Cup Sprint. No need to try anything else but races on dirt that are 1 mile and shorter.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Morris Park

Yes i did, the splits were moderate for Monmouth, I believe he Sun King got the lead and went 23 and change and 47 and change. thats not exactly flying at this speedway. horses routinely go 22 in routes and go on with it. 23 and change here equals 24+ at most major tracks. Doesnt exactly make him a true front runner.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip away
Yes i did, the splits were moderate for Monmouth, I believe he Sun King got the lead and went 23 and change and 47 and change. thats not exactly flying at this speedway. horses routinely go 22 in routes and go on with it. 23 and change here equals 24+ at most major tracks. Doesnt exactly make him a true front runner.
I understand what you're saying, BUT, until the last couple of races, Sun King was almost always at or near the lead. This seems to be a total change in tactic, which as you note, would probably make sense since the pace in a race going a mile or less is going to be significantly quicker than the races he was running last year.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I understand what you're saying, BUT, until the last couple of races, Sun King was almost always at or near the lead. This seems to be a total change in tactic, which as you note, would probably make sense since the pace in a race going a mile or less is going to be significantly quicker than the races he was running last year.
he had a full head of steam going the mile..why not longer..at least alittle..
Old 05-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Secretariat

this horse is a dual qualifier, he can run routes, if zito can't get 10f out of him as an older horse, maybe a good trainer can.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Morris Park

Yes slot, it makes perfect sense and its nice to see this horse as a "relaxer".
I watched him through the early stages of the Met and it looked as if he knew he was now "a closer". He didnt put up any sort of fight with his jockey which shows he has been trained very well this year.

Seems they have found his niche, its obvious this horse cant compete with the big boys going long. He just doesnt have that staying speed like Lava Man or the closing punch like Borrego had going a distance of ground.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 PM

I'm sure Sun King has taken note of his status as a dual qualifier over a year and a half ago and this very revelation has been what has driven him to two straight solid performances going a mile or less.