Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2006, 03:22 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Default gomez...

... damn it....nice ride ..choke artist.. the 2 seemed to be choked down in the str ..no need to beef...after all i liked the nine and didnt play it..my bad...

Last edited by hoovesupsideyourhead : 05-29-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:35 PM
oracle80

Default Hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
well after going back in forth over the race 7.i included that rat basterd...he hosed me..i had used the 9 last out god damn it....nice ride ..choke artist..

Hooves, been watching races for a living as an agent for quite some time now. I know some think I maye be extreme in my comments and I know many are just superficial watchers who wont grasp what i am saying, but I will step up your game Hooves!!!
I didn't use Bestowed but I will always watch a race dispassionately no matter who I bet or who I know in the race. Fact is Bestowed was probably best. Broke sharp and had great position into the turn. Instead of letting him run under a loose rein and letting the eventual winner clear off gradually and just holding his ground and stinging the winner a bit, Garrett overreacted and stood up and took a chokehold on him causing the horse to resent it, toss his head, and give up a lotta ground in just a few strides. Im grateful he sucks as I am alive in pik-4's but in reality you bet the right horse Hooves.
Unlike you guys, even if I win I will still tell you that you had teh right horse, and in this case you did. Gomez screwed you. Dickinson(trainer) now has 4 wins so far this year and its Memorial Day!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some master trainer genius he is huh?
Old 05-29-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Hooves, been watching races for a living as an agent for quite some time now. I know some think I maye be extreme in my comments and I know many are just superficial watchers who wont grasp what i am saying, but I will step up your game Hooves!!!
I didn't use Bestowed but I will always watch a race dispassionately no matter who I bet or who I know in the race. Fact is Bestowed was probably best. Broke sharp and had great position into the turn. Instead of letting him run under a loose rein and letting the eventual winner clear off gradually and just holding his ground and stinging the winner a bit, Garrett overreacted and stood up and took a chokehold on him causing the horse to resent it, toss his head, and give up a lotta ground in just a few strides. Im grateful he sucks as I am alive in pik-4's but in reality you bet the right horse Hooves.
Unlike you guys, even if I win I will still tell you that you had teh right horse, and in this case you did. Gomez screwed you. Dickinson(trainer) now has 4 wins so far this year and its Memorial Day!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some master trainer genius he is huh?
he sure did chestertown was a horse i bet last out and figured to me to get caught by the 2....good on ya mate..glad your alive....
Old 05-29-2006, 07:30 PM
belmont park is the best

Mig took that race to school, stole it on the front end and its good to see the guy who suffered from another untimely injury have more wins at the meet than the guy who got to benefit from it.

People think that gomez is some kind of jockey god. Give him another agent than ron a and hes nowhere.

Gomez and Kent wont do any good at saratoga.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Hoisttheflag

Gomez has won me many a race. Bet against him at your own risk. The only thing worse than blaming a jockey is blaming a horse. You know who you are betting on when you put the money down.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:34 PM
Arlington Park

And what happens once JRV returns and Garrett finds himsef getting on two or three a day? Maybe he's truly better than this but it's going to be interesting to see what happens in a couple weeks if he's still riding poorly. Room for one more at the Jersey shore?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
And what happens once JRV returns and Garrett finds himsef getting on two or three a day? Maybe he's truly better than this but it's going to be interesting to see what happens in a couple weeks if he's still riding poorly. Room for one more at the Jersey shore?

If he is so bad how did he get the best job in the business while JV is gone. Other than Prado, Castellano and Santos he has the highest win percentage. Pretty good for a guy "going to the shore".
Old 05-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
If he is so bad how did he get the best job in the business while JV is gone. Other than Prado, Castellano and Santos he has the highest win percentage. Pretty good for a guy "going to the shore".
How'd he get the job? Perhaps he's the second best jock in the country, perhaps he's got the best agent. All I know is I wtched the past few Belmont cards and I think he won one race. That 20% meet percentage is going to be about 15% after this weekend. If he rides like he did this weekend for the next couple weeks, it will be under 10%. All I am saying is he's riding poor as heck right now. And maybe most of Todd Pletcher's horses need a race? I think he's a very stylish rider, but he's not doing too well right now.

A couple more weeks like this and he could be chasing Castro and Bravo at the beach.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Saratoga

Here is one obvservation that could be way off, but a decent theory. Pletcher is ALWAYS on fire at Saratoga, and with that coming up soon, he might not be drilling down on his horses just yet.

A perfect example is Flower Alley, he must think he is absolute monster and that he is going to win every major race he is in because if he doesn't get back soon, he will have no shot at HOY. Year is close to being half over.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
How'd he get the job? Perhaps he's the second best jock in the country, perhaps he's got the best agent. All I know is I wtched the past few Belmont cards and I think he won one race. That 20% meet percentage is going to be about 15% after this weekend. If he rides like he did this weekend for the next couple weeks, it will be under 10%. All I am saying is he's riding poor as heck right now. And maybe most of Todd Pletcher's horses need a race? I think he's a very stylish rider, but he's not doing too well right now.

A couple more weeks like this and he could be chasing Castro and Bravo at the beach.
lol sent to.....jv returns fri....if all goes well go go bye bye.......hey i like eddie castro....team wolfson..got to like that combo...
Old 05-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
lol sent to.....jv returns fri....if all goes well go go bye bye.......hey i like eddie castro....team wolfson..got to like that combo...
When they venture away.......its time to play!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:08 AM
Gulfstream Park

im gonna be all over johnny v on here when he returns, excuse me the"almighty" johnny v. bailey got nothing but knocked over on the other place and people said he was washed up etc etc the past few years, funny becuz he kicked johnny v's and every1 elses rear end in % last year and was screwed outta the eclipse
Old 05-30-2006, 06:09 AM
oracle80

Default You gotta lay off the pipe buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappearingdan_akaplaya
im gonna be all over johnny v on here when he returns, excuse me the"almighty" johnny v. bailey got nothing but knocked over on the other place and people said he was washed up etc etc the past few years, funny becuz he kicked johnny v's and every1 elses rear end in % last year and was screwed outta the eclipse
Playa,
You gotta see reality ratherthan how you want reality to be. Johnny crsuhed every thing last year and made all the money. Percentage alone wont get you anything.
Gomez has broken a lotat guys lately and been exposed for what he is, a good physical rider with a brain the size of a pea who is VERY streaky.
I think thats become obvious. The real greats avoid being streaky like that and prasied for their consistency.
YOu wanna get all over Johnny V? Good luck to you. I've never seen the guy act unprofessionally and if hes not riding brilliantly at times, he makes sure to ride professionally and not make stupid errors like Gomez does.
The hallmark of any professional is his or her consistency.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:27 AM
oracle80

Default By the way, Gomez doesn't suck

Gomez is one of the best riders alive. He really doesn't suck. But hes very inconsistent and frustrating at times. Jerry Bailey was asked about Edgar Prado as a jockey after the Derby and he said that Edgar was so very consistent and always showed up to do the job, day in and day out. He then said that some top jocks looked awesome at times and at other times looked average. I think he was elduing to Gomez with that statement.
I simply found all the comaprisons and allegations lately that Gomez was at Johnny V's level to be completely insane.
Johnny is at a level that few riders have ever reached. The wya he has ridden the last three years has been absolutely incredible. Hes just so perfect so much of the time that his skill was beginning to be taken for granted. He makes everything look so damn easy that people just didnt think he was doing anything special and was just on good horses. The thing is that top riders are supposed to do that. Every ride doesnt have to be a daredevil, overthought process. You dont need to save every inch of ground and knife through a hole when you are on the best horse. You just do your homework with the DRF, position the horse properly, and stay out of its way.

At some point Gomez will realize this. His agent is the best agent who ever hustled a jock's book. Hes just about the sharpest guy at the racetrack. I'm sure with Anderson's guidance that eventually he will become more consistent. Hes diplayed he has the incredible strength and physical ability and timing. He also posesses daredevil guts. Now hes just gotta start studying pp's better, knowing his own horse and the horses he is riding against, and realize that when you get to the level he has gotten to in terms of talent of his mounts, that he doesnt have to be the show by himself.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Gulfstream Park

well mike i think % does matter. after all you did state the word consistency and a riders% would indicate that wouldnt it? i think velasquez is a good jock i wont dispute that but i dont think hes great. there are a host of other guys i would ride over him or edgar anyday of the week. i think another former based MD rider like edgar himself that would ride edgar right outta his jock is ramon dominguez. edgar has all the physical skills on a horse but when i watch him ride sometimes i really wonder if this guy knows how to read a racing form or not
Old 05-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Hoisttheflag

Velasquez is like Frankel, you have to win the big one. Without the Derby you can never be a true great.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:46 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
Velasquez is like Frankel, you have to win the big one. Without the Derby you can never be a true great.
Oh thats rubbish and nonsense. Mandella, Pletcher,Frankel, etc have never won teh Derby and are great.
The Derby is one race, not the whole year or a career. Thats just nonsense.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Oh thats rubbish and nonsense. Mandella, Pletcher,Frankel, etc have never won teh Derby and are great.

agreed you not only have to have the horse but a tremendous amount of racing luck to win the derby
Old 05-30-2006, 03:48 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappearingdan_akaplaya

well mike i think % does matter. after all you did state the word consistency and a riders% would indicate that wouldnt it? i think velasquez is a good jock i wont dispute that but i dont think hes great. there are a host of other guys i would ride over him or edgar anyday of the week. i think another former based MD rider like edgar himself that would ride edgar right outta his jock is ramon dominguez. edgar has all the physical skills on a horse but when i watch him ride sometimes i really wonder if this guy knows how to read a racing form or not
Playa you arent representing the truth in your assertation about Bailey last year. If you are gonna try and bs soemone, make sure it aint me, cause you wont ever get me.
Bailey by his own admission couldnt handle the rigors of everyday riding last year, so he cut his workload and only took high class allowance and stakes races with some Maidens and high priced claimers as well for top clients.
He didn't ride a full slate, so his % would naturally be higher just riding chosen mounts.
Any jock could do that and attain a high %. The guys who ride day in and day out all year long and win the money are the guys who get the awards, period.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Unfair, maybe. But that is the reality of it. You can't be put in the elite of the elite unless you win a Kentucky Derby.