Default BC TV schedule - no Juvenile Fillies

Date Time (ET) Network
Fri., Oct. 31 5 – 8 p.m. NBCSN
Sat., Nov. 1 3:30 – 8 p.m. NBCSN
Sat., Nov. 1 8 – 9 p.m. NBC

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...-pm-et-on-nbc/
Old 10-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Oriental Park

It wont be too long before they show they distaff and classic and thats it, the rating or less than good.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
It wont be too long before they show they distaff and classic and thats it, the rating or less than good.
So they'll broadcast the Triple Crown and it's lead up all Winter/Spring, the Breeders' Cup Challenge Series races all Summer/ Fall and then just the Distaff and Classic... Interesting theory..
Old 10-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
So they'll broadcast the Triple Crown and it's lead up all Winter/Spring, the Breeders' Cup Challenge Series races all Summer/ Fall and then just the Distaff and Classic... Interesting theory..
No, they wills stop showing those other races too (outside of the triple crown of course).

I said this back when it went from NBC national to ESPN cable, that it was a bad thing for racing, many disagreed. It signaled how racing was slowing eroding away from the public.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Flemington

I'm really not sure if it matters what channel broadcasts the races. The people that want to watch it/bet it will find a way to see the races. The mainstream public that's somewhat interested or on the fence about racing aren't sitting in front of the TV to watch a race every 40 minutes no matter what channel it's on.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Sunshine Park

That is a big problem. The damn thing takes so long to run between races, Joe Public, does not have the attention span, or the inclination to watch a program that long. Just like yesterday's Nascar race. It took forever for it to be run, and I kept on flipping between that and the football games and the odd horse race. It is just too time consuming for what 15-20 minutes of real action.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
I'm really not sure if it matters what channel broadcasts the races. The people that want to watch it/bet it will find a way to see the races. The mainstream public that's somewhat interested or on the fence about racing aren't sitting in front of the TV to watch a race every 40 minutes no matter what channel it's on.
maybe so but there can be no argument that can support less exposure is a good thing.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
No, they wills stop showing those other races too (outside of the triple crown of course).

I said this back when it went from NBC national to ESPN cable, that it was a bad thing for racing, many disagreed. It signaled how racing was slowing eroding away from the public.
Yes.. Racing, along with agrarian life, has left the mainstream. But the niche marketplace and programming demands of the networks find NBC & FOX televising more racing on TV than in years. That niche and programming isn't going away. NBC is devoting 8.5 hours to Cup. That's a major commitment. Recognize that the Cup itself created part of the issue of not being able to fit everything into the window provided. Moving one of Saturday's races to Friday could fix this glitch of the Fillies having to be shown on tape.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost King View Post
That is a big problem. The damn thing takes so long to run between races, Joe Public, does not have the attention span, or the inclination to watch a program that long. Just like yesterday's Nascar race. It took forever for it to be run, and I kept on flipping between that and the football games and the odd horse race. It is just too time consuming for what 15-20 minutes of real action.
Maybe they should saddle every horse for Saturday's races at the same time and run the races one after the other. Ideally they could fit all of Saturday into a 60 minute time slot that way..
Old 10-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Yes.. Racing, along with agrarian life, has left the mainstream. But the niche marketplace and programming demands of the networks find NBC & FOX televising more racing on TV than in years. That niche and programming isn't going away. NBC is devoting 8.5 hours to Cup. That's a major commitment. Recognize that the Cup itself created part of the issue of not being able to fit everything into the window provided. Moving one of Saturday's races to Friday could fix this glitch of the Fillies having to be shown on tape.
Yes they are using it for now to support an upstart network.

ESPN did at one time as well, now they televise football games. Of course they also used to televise arm wrestling and ping pong as well.

This is about ratings and not windows, they could get the windows they need with better ratings.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Maybe they should saddle every horse for Saturday's races at the same time and run the races one after the other. Ideally they could fit all of Saturday into a 60 minute time slot that way..
tape delay?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Oaklawn

Wow. I cant believe this thread. Any televised Horse racing is a great thing. NBC and NBCSN are putting forth a great product an I applaud them for their great coverage throughout the year! I just had to say my peace. And now.............back to "The Twilight Zone Thread"
Old 10-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogadew View Post
Wow. I cant believe this thread. Any televised Horse racing is a great thing. NBC and NBCSN are putting forth a great product an I applaud them for their great coverage throughout the year! I just had to say my peace. And now.............back to "The Twilight Zone Thread"
I agree, the fact that they're televising as much as they have all year is a miracle compared to past years and I won't get too bent out of shape just yet, as much as I'd like to see the Juvie Fillies live. If it becomes a trend, then I'll be dismayed. It was so sad and frustrating watching the number of racing Saturdays diminishing. Between NBC Sports and Fox Sports, we got so many races that had been banished from widely viewed cable or network tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
C'mon Steve, no need to take up an hour of everybody's time. You wouldn't even need to wait til one race finished to start the others. Do the longest race first so they'll get clear of where the others would finish, wait til they get far enough into the race, load up the next field, set em off. You'd have to do the Classic and BC Turf first, but remember, time's of the essence so you gotta do it. The bulk of the coverage would be the post parade, but I think if you just have all the horses walk next to each other instead of front to back, we could trim a little time off there too. You wouldn't even need a bathroom break. One big group trophy presentation and one big winner's circle photo with a wide lens. How do you get all the jockeys on the scale at the end? Two words: totem pole. You're welcome.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:50 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonadave View Post
Didn,t a track run two races at once. One on the Turf and the other on the main track.
Calder.. Extreme Day..
Old 10-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonadave View Post
Didn,t a track run two races at once. One on the Turf and the other on the main track.
I believe we did that here at Canterbury also..............
Old 10-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
lol . the boss made a funny
Old 10-29-2014, 02:28 PM
The Curragh

Quote:

lol...im sitting here literally laughing outloud

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/15640118795/standalone
Old 10-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Steve Byk

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/30/sp...deal.html?_r=1

It's too bad the major networks will be curtailing horse racing coverage, because otherwise, this NBC deal might have been extended to 2035 instead of just 2025..
Old 10-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

It's too bad the major networks will be curtailing horse racing coverage, because otherwise, this NBC deal might have been extended to 2035 instead of just 2025..
Old 10-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:

We can revisit this, hope there are no outs tied to ratings in the contract.