Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Washington Park

Default Vicky Aragon Baze, riding at Golden Gate this weekend?

Just perusing the Golden Gate charts and entries and note that Vicky Baze had mounts today, and will again tomorrow. She hit the board with a 33-1 shot today.

Apparently this Vicky Baze is the former Vicky Aragon, a female rider of significant note and accomplishment from prior years?

Best I can tell she's been away from riding for awhile? Cursory google searches are sparse with the up to date connection details.

Always curious when a new name shows up to ride. Especially a name with a legacy like Vicky Aragon.

Anyone know what brings her to Golden Gate Fields at this point in time?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastinvader
Just perusing the Golden Gate charts and entries and note that Vicky Baze had mounts today, and will again tomorrow. She hit the board with a 33-1 shot today.

Apparently this Vicky Baze is the former Vicky Aragon, a female rider of significant note and accomplishment from prior years?

Best I can tell she's been away from riding for awhile? Cursory google searches are sparse with the up to date connection details.

Always curious when a new name shows up to ride. Especially a name with a legacy like Vicky Aragon.

Anyone know what brings her to Golden Gate Fields at this point in time?
The kids are all in school now?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Ellis Park

I didn't think her and Gary had any kids LOL rumor is she might ride some at Emerald Downs and Gary might be coming back to go ride at Assiniboia?? Vicky has made a couple of mini comebacks at Emerald over the past few years.

On twitter @BeemieAwards
Old 04-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
I didn't think her and Gary had any kids LOL rumor is she might ride some at Emerald Downs and Gary might be coming back to go ride at Assiniboia?? Vicky has made a couple of mini comebacks at Emerald over the past few years.

Thanks for the note Pedigree Ann and JBallsCalls.

I'm a sucker for history and trivia.

When I noted the newsworthy success Vicky Aragon had here in the Bay Area nearly a quarter century ago, curiosity abounded with her presence this weekend.

From cursory google searches she seems like a diverse, talented, interesting and good lady.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Churchill Downs

From the DRF:

* Vicky Aragon Baze, 44, one of the West Coast's most accomplished female jockeys, returned to the saddle Saturday after taking a two-year break from riding. She finished 10th aboard 29-1 longshot Warren's Hotrod with her first mount and third aboard 33-1 Rileys Classic with her second mount. She is planning to ride the remainder of the meet and the summer fair circuit. She is married to former rider Gary Baze.

LINK