Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2019, 01:51 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitan View Post
Maybe the question should be why is that the rule in the first place? North American rules in this respect are dissimilar to those of other racing jurisdictions, which have their own individual quirks but are pretty consistent for DQs. Hell, what is a foul in one state is not in another, and vice versa. This DQ is a perfect example of why the rules need changing. What we had was a young horse drifting on the turn for whatever reason (noise, glare, uneven surface, etc), possibly compromising the chances of the 1 (came up empty; 18 and 21 were done). But, in the end who did the DQ benefit? It didn’t benefit the connections of the horses interfered with (the reason why Gaffalione said they didn’t lodge an objection). It didn’t benefit those that bet the 1 or 18. It sure didn’t benefit the horse who was best on the day nor those that bet him (in North America). It only benefitted the bettors and connections of horses that had fair chances to but couldn’t beat the winner.

One of the reasons the rules in other jurisdictions are set as such is to protect the bettors. In this case, why should someone who handicapped and bet the race perfectly be punished? Why should those who had fair chances to win be rewarded? Neither are beneficial to those that bet on the affected runners. Full disclosure, at the start of the card I bet the 7 overseas because I got 9-1 odds...I’m just angry because the DQ cost me on the exotics and the 20 was my original pick before I decided he wasn’t good enough to win, which was correct—so I’m right but I still lose. My bet still got paid as if it was a winner, because 1) what I just mentioned above, and 2) that horse would never have come down in their (or any other major) jurisdiction (rather, jockey likely suspended even if it maybe wasn’t his fault). Sometimes the best horses don’t win for whatever reason, whether it be a bad trip or fair and square. The 20 had every chance to be the deserved winner. Maybe I’m sour because it’s the same scenario for me in the Oaks...9 ranged up on the outside for a huge score but got turned back by the winner who was best on the day. My horse had her chance but was second best. Same scenario happened in the Derby. The 20 had his chance to win and didn’t. He still wasn’t winning even if the 1 or 18 weren’t interfered with. Same with the 13 and the 5 and the rest that finished with a cheque, they weren’t finishing any higher. So, maybe “rules are rules”, but those rules need to be re-looked at, because in situations like this they don’t benefit the connections or bettors—those who are the heart and soul of the game.
Let's forget about the Kentucky Derby for a minute and just talk about the rules. I think you were saying that if the winner of a race fouls a horse that finished 8th, the winner should not get DQ'd because the horses that will get moved up don't deserve to get moved up because they weren't involved in the incident. But the winner still needs to be taken down. Here is why: If a jockey knows that he can badly foul a horse, he may do it on purpose if he knows that he won't get DQ'd.

For example, let's say a jockey knows that a certain horse in the race is his main competition. If he knows that he can foul that horse really badly and totally eliminate him, he may do it if he knows he won't get DQ'd. You may say that he wouldn't do it because he knows that the stewards would still give him days. But that's not necessarily true. It may be worth it to him to get days under certain situations. If the purse of the race was really big, it may be worth it to him to eliminate his main competition, if he knows that he won't get DQ'd and he will get to keep the purse. Or what if a jockey and trainer are going to make a big bet on their horse. In that case, it may be worth it to eliminate their main competition, if they know they won't get DQ'd.

Anyway, you get my point. If a horse badly fouls another horse and it might have cost that horse a better placing (in the money), the horse who committed the foul needs to get DQ'd. There is no way around it. It is a very important deterrent to prevent guys from riding intentionally recklessly.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:11 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
Let's forget about the Kentucky Derby for a minute and just talk about the rules. I think you were saying that if the winner of a race fouls a horse that finished 8th, the winner should not get DQ'd because the horses that will get moved up don't deserve to get moved up because they weren't involved in the incident. But the winner still needs to be taken down. Here is why: If a jockey knows that he can badly foul a horse, he may do it on purpose if he knows that he won't get DQ'd.

For example, let's say a jockey knows that a certain horse in the race is his main competition. If he knows that he can foul that horse really badly and totally eliminate him, he may do it if he knows he won't get DQ'd. You may say that he wouldn't do it because he knows that the stewards would still give him days. But that's not necessarily true. It may be worth it to him to get days under certain situations. If the purse of the race was really big, it may be worth it to him to eliminate his main competition, if he knows that he won't get DQ'd and he will get to keep the purse. Or what if a jockey and trainer are going to make a big bet on their horse. In that case, it may be worth it to eliminate their main competition, if they know they won't get DQ'd.

Anyway, you get my point. If a horse badly fouls another horse and it might have cost that horse a better placing (in the money), the horse who committed the foul needs to get DQ'd. There is no way around it. It is a very important deterrent to prevent guys from riding intentionally recklessly.
A jockey in Hong Kong just got a 10 race meeting ban (they race twice a week, so essentially a month ban) for not controlling his horse and causing fractions to be excessively fast. Winx’s rider got a 21 meeting ban for weighing in 1kg (2.2lbs) overweight in last year’s Melbourne Cup (on a different horse). If those petty things result in huge bans, you can only imagine how long the suspensions would be for doing something intentionally...there was a 25 meeting ban, causing the jockey to miss multiple G1 rides, earlier in the year for accidentally causing a fall...if that was intentional, better bet he’d need to find a new career.

Jockeys elsewhere are regularly suspended for minor fouls. I see less intentional major fouls in other jurisdictions than in North America and a fraction of the DQs. It’s not a coincidence.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:27 AM
Gulfstream Park

Similar comments from the Chief steward in Hong Kong, saying this is the incident to spark change and bring USA up to speed with the rest of the world.

In particular relevance to what I said above: “In ‘Category One’, if it can be clearly demonstrated that the horse interfered with would have beaten [the other one] home, punters can accept they should not have won the race under those circumstances. They can’t accept losing their money for interference sustained to a horse that finished 17th.”

https://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/ar...ange-kim-kelly
Old 05-06-2019, 06:17 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post

Jocks/Trainers/Owners just should start filing stuff as soon as the race is over. 2020 KY Derby #1 Post is getting get hit/impeded in the first 5 steps and if the "RULES" are followed the #2/#3 should already be DQ
Old 05-06-2019, 07:31 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
thank you. Their legs were tangled together. I would say that WOW actually forced MS to move further out because he was "pushing" him.
Also curious as to why WOW didn't file an objection. he was the one making contact from the back. I think He knew He ****ed up and whistled pass the graveyard.

look at it....thats not an illusion...and it went on for a few strides....

the 1 is the cause and although it wouldn't help the bettors, they should REVERSE the decision before the Preakness......just my OP..
I’m trying to figure out how someone could watch the numerous head on videos of what happened and come to this conclusion. Like how is it even possible.

I get there can be a difference of opinion on the DQ...but to watch the videos and think War of Will was the one interfering with Maximum Security is mind boggling to me.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 AM
Aqueduct

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...equence-233505

#17 should have been DQ in first 3 steps if "Rule for interference" were followed
Old 05-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...equence-233505

#17 should have been DQ in first 3 steps if "Rule for interference" were followed
The horse he came over on finished in front of him.

Do you understand how DQ’s work?
Old 05-06-2019, 08:17 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
The always great Scott Carson posted the most definitive video. If this isn't a foul... I don't know what is.

https://twitter.com/CarsoniPH/status...28240144457730

Well said.
Scott's video clearly put me in the camp of it was a valid DQ Call and a Gutsy call by the Stewards.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:46 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
The always great Scott Carson posted the most definitive video. If this isn't a foul... I don't know what is.

https://twitter.com/CarsoniPH/status...28240144457730

Well said.
That video shows it pretty clearly. It’s still unfortunate it happened...but oh well.

Bill Mott owes Jason Servis, though. Not only did the foul result in Country House getting placed first but that video shows the foul pushed a whole bunch of horses wide and created a clear lane for Tacitus who was just picking up a full head of steam.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:51 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
The horse he came over on finished in front of him.

Do you understand how DQ’s work?
But under their rules it does NOT matter about the finish. #17 should be DQ for Interference

All I am saying is this happens all the time in the TC/BC races and nothing is ever done
Old 05-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
But under their rules it does NOT matter about the finish. #17 should be DQ for Interference

All I am saying is this happens all the time in the TC/BC races and nothing is ever done
You’re not making any sense. There have been DQ’s in Breeders Cup races. This was a special circumstance.

I’ve been around social media long enough to realize no one ever changes their mind once they have made it....but some of the stuff I’ve been reading is making my brain hurt.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:11 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:

“All the time” is hyperbolic. Fouls happen. Some of them are minor, some are more egregious. The closer it happens to the finish, the more likely it is to result in a disqualification. I can’t recall a foul of this degree happening in a Grade 1 race any time recently without the horse being brought down.

I could have lived with the horse staying up. I think it was the right call...but I also wouldn’t have been shocked if they didn’t disqualify him. But if they didn’t disqualify him, I think the main reason would have been simply because it was the Kentucky Derby.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:26 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Nobody talking about this... it should be at least discussed.

22.1, 24.2, 25.4, 26.1, 25.1. That's not normal.
The last front-running / stalking Derby winner I can think of with a faster final quarter than the previous quarter is Big Brown but he was nowhere near a full second faster.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:45 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
“All the time” is hyperbolic. Fouls happen. Some of them are minor, some are more egregious. The closer it happens to the finish, the more likely it is to result in a disqualification. I can’t recall a foul of this degree happening in a Grade 1 race any time recently without the horse being brought down.

I could have lived with the horse staying up. I think it was the right call...but I also wouldn’t have been shocked if they didn’t disqualify him. But if they didn’t disqualify him, I think the main reason would have been simply because it was the Kentucky Derby.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...-million-on-dq

there was another arl million tqke down i remember with an
n english rider jamie spencer

Blaise Pascal
Old 05-06-2019, 09:11 PM
Churchill Downs

I think a comment was made that 20 horses is too many.

Should it be reduced to 15?

Yay or Nay ?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Churchill Downs

Anyone know if there ever was another "Objection" filed in a Kentucky Derby before?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:24 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...-million-on-dq

there was another arl million tqke down i remember with an
n english rider jamie spencer
Interesting. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
I think a comment was made that 20 horses is too many.

Should it be reduced to 15?

Yay or Nay ?
I’d prefer to keep it at 20 but I’m fine either way. I don’t think the size of the field was an immediate cause of this incident.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
I’d prefer to keep it at 20 but I’m fine either way. I don’t think the size of the field was an immediate cause of this incident.
I think there may be some validity for the safety issue. Young, lightly raced , fast horses, sloppy track, not the greatest scenario.

........and kudos to all the jocks for staying up in that mess. every time i see it it looks more dangerous.

The only thing worse than a DQ is a pile up. I'll take that any day.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:04 AM
Goodwood

Quote:

There was a DQ in the '06 Oaks. Bushfire was DQ'd and Wait a While was promoted to 3rd. It's not without precedent, and TC/BC races (for the safety of the game, if nothing else) should be adjudicated the same as any other race.

I have no idea where you are getting the opinion that the 17, of all horses, should have been DQ'd.