Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2015, 06:36 AM
Havre de Grace

Default US Open on Fox

New coverage on a controversialcourse . No Johnny Miller.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/...bay-1.10549984

Blaise Pascal
Old 06-18-2015, 07:08 PM
Randwyck

IMO, horrible broadcasting so far. Rookie commentators and a brutal layout means a big loss in viewing over the weekend. That and TW 4 over does not help the $$$. I have watched this event for 42 years and never saw it this poorly done--both the announcing and the play....they'll be writing about this whole deal for years. Kinda like Shinnecock....
Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Longchamps

Tiger plus 10 now
Old 06-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Arlington Park

He's almost morphed into a former grade 1 winner who is now a 14 year old bottom level claimer at Penn getting a sympathy claim and sent to pasture.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Belmont Park

They'd have a difficult time finding a bigger shithole to host a US Open on. I'm not certain that it's a had and fast rule, but typically grass is required in order to consider a green a.....ummmm...green, no? And waiting for a train to go through the middle of the course 60 times a day won't slow play to a halt will it?

From the sophomoric coverage to the course selection, this entire tourney is barely watchable thus far - here's hoping they figure something out by the weekend..
Old 06-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
They'd have a difficult time finding a bigger shithole to host a US Open on. I'm not certain that it's a had and fast rule, but typically grass is required in order to consider a green a.....ummmm...green, no? And waiting for a train to go through the middle of the course 60 times a day won't slow play to a halt will it?

From the sophomoric coverage to the course selection, this entire tourney is barely watchable thus far - here's hoping they figure something out by the weekend..
I keep expecting to see a classic train roll through with the ghost of Teddy Roosevelt waving from the back of the caboose.

Knowing our luck it'll be Hucklebee.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

"This is the dumbest hole I've ever played in my life. So dumb." - Jordan Spieth on 18. LOL.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Randwyck

I just love how Fox thinks nobody knows anything about the sports it is new to broadcasting. Joe Buck = Nails on a chalkboard.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club View Post
I just love how Fox thinks nobody knows anything about the sports it is new to broadcasting. Joe Buck = Nails on a chalkboard.
argh, i detest joe buck. he's insufferable.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Del Mar

Boy, the hate of the course. Anyone here Gary Player's rant? "Give the announcers a lie detector test and have them really say what they think". Geez, and right after the personal close up of the creator and story how the course came about.

When locals were asked at it's inception about plans for the course..."good luck with that"

This is only going to get uglier.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Arlington Park

My question to Player is 'are you accounting for the drought?'

Because it, imho, is the major factor.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Saratoga

The coverage is sooo bad. I am sick of the tracers on tee shots and then breaking to a long shot of the ball landing. Yesterday I saw Bubba tee off on a par 4 watched the tracer and then they broke away to a ball landing on the green HOWEVER it was a different HOLE, Bubba didn't come close to driving the green.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:25 PM
Hialeah Park

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...F2Giw/htmlview

Reed needs to dodge the moving day woes of the morning players and pull through for me!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 06-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Havre de Grace

"Golf has a traditional audience ... who may not be as flexible on their viewing habits," Neal Pilson, former president of CBS Sports, told CNBC

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102772760?__s...&doc=102772760

Then there is Gary Players rant -

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/6/...o-us-open-2015

Blaise Pascal

Last edited by Benny : 06-21-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Keeneland

Despite the shoddy coverage, I think the tourney is going great and looking forward to today's play with four tied for the lead. I'm likely with the majority and pulling for the vertigo suffering Day to prevail. Also rather have the leaders at -4 rather than -20. Still enjoy the 370 yard drives.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Flemington

David Duval's suit gave me vertigo.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:03 PM
5'8".. but all man!

What a **** US Open. Pure luck, plain and simple. It's been reduced to "hit and hope." I love having them have to fight for par (Merion in '13) was fantastic, but this course, under these conditions, is abysmal and not terribly exciting to watch.
Fox is awful. Why the f*ck was Charles Davis doing interviews? I mean, really? Joe Olglevie can't even look into the camera when talking (must be cuz he's a Duke alum) I think having those LPGA girls on is great, but come on...they have zero clue about how the men's game is played. The PGA and LPGA tours are not even a little bit closely related. Two different levels of golf being played. Anyway, at least there is Joe Buck, Greg Norman and that giant f*cking shark logo on every commentators shirt sleeve.
Mike Torico and Curtis Strange should just do all golf coverage, on every station, forever. Or at least until I die.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Randwyck

This whole mess has gotten me thinking about what Lee Trevino said about the USGA (which is the governing body of our Open). He said when he retired he wanted a job there, where "Dandruff on a blue blazer and gravy on a necktie" was the norm.
While I applaud the USGA for looking for venues normally accessible for public golfers (like Bethpage), this Open looks to the casual golfer/fan as if it's being played in some 'stan country. The imagery is pretty poor and a poor representation of what golf can and should look like here. But that's just my opinion.
As for the golf, and I have watched enough Opens to understand the nature of the suffering, it makes me think our foreign guests must be thinking "Is this the best they can do?". I know there's a drought out west but plating off of lint and putting over poa annua should not be the showcase for our Open.

And FOX is not ready for prime time golf coverage. Please.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Hialeah Park

maar01-holly-sonders-interview.jpg
Old 06-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Arlington Park

Couldn't ask for a better final day leaderboard.