Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Randwyck

Default Bayern

Ignoring all the controversy lets give Bayern his due. The track kept changing during the day and may have been speed favoring for the Classic but he still cut out fractions of 46.2, 1.10.1, and 1.34. . He may have had company if Moreno wasn't hindered but how much faster would he have gone? More than enough pace for the others to run him down and they couldn't get the job done.

This a horse who won stakes this year from 7f to now 1 1/4 most in dazzling fashion. In these days of stables afraid to ship, he raced at 8 different tracks this year. Every time he crunched it was because the track was "speed biased" and nothing to due with his ability. Other than Ghostzapper I don't recall many horses winning graded stakes at different distances in the same year.
He doesn't need our praise with over $4M in the bank.

His subsequent races showed that my $200 win bet at 12-1 in the Preakness may have been justifiable but I rather would have cashed that ticket.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJMK View Post
Ignoring all the controversy lets give Bayern his due.
Great work, Bayern. At the start, you eliminated not only your main rival for the win, but also your main pace rival, too. That's called making your own "racing luck".

Quote:
The track kept changing during the day and may have been speed favoring for the Classic but he still cut out fractions of 46.2, 1.10.1, and 1.34. . He may have had company if Moreno wasn't hindered but how much faster would he have gone? More than enough pace for the others to run him down and they couldn't get the job done.
This ignores the significance of the stress inflicted on a horse during a speed duel. Bayern had a clear, unchallenged lead into the far turn, an advantageous circumstance. In his races where he was not afforded such a comfortable position, he folded like a cheap suit.

Quote:
This a horse who won stakes this year from 7f to now 1 1/4 most in dazzling fashion. In these days of stables afraid to ship, he raced at 8 different tracks this year. Every time he crunched it was because the track was "speed biased" and nothing to due with his ability.
This reads like by "speed biased" you mean the track is playing against speed.

Quote:
Other than Ghostzapper I don't recall many horses winning graded stakes at different distances in the same year.
If can recall horses beyond Zenyatta and Wise Dan, there have been quite a few over the years.

Quote:
His subsequent races showed that my $200 win bet at 12-1 in the Preakness may have been justifiable but I rather would have cashed that ticket.
You're taking the high road like Bob Baffert and not blaming Ria Antonia for bumping Bayern at the start.

Still, you probably should have bet on California Chrome.