Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-31-2014, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Default Is this legit?

Quote:
4: Ward swaps speed for stamina ahead of his biggest weekend yet

What do you do if you are an ambitious trainer on the brink of the biggest weekend of your entire career?

You book your ticket to Los Angeles quick sticks, right?

Err, not if you are Wesley Ward, you don’t.

Ward has made his name in Europe for an uncanny ability to prime fast juveniles for Royal Ascot but his methods have yielded a rich harvest on home soil this year with a BC hand to rival any trainer on either side of the Atlantic.

Hootenanny is favourite for the Juvenile Turf after bolting up in the Windsor Castle Stakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54rttmh_l7c

Sunset Glow excelled in defeat at the royal meeting and heads the Juvenile Fillies Turf market after a courageous Del Mar success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s6R3Wf_4XM

Last year’s Norfolk Stakes hero No Nay Never is favourite for Saturday’s Turf Sprint after returning from a break with a smart success at Keeneland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGYRFRFHoW4

And Undrafted provides strong backup to No Nay Never based on his fine fourth under Frankie Dettori in Slade Power’s July Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_BDHp906s

It’s a strong hand by any standards - yet Ward is swerving a trip to Santa Anita and staying home to watch his teenage son perform in the state senior high school cross country championships.

It’s a decision that throws up a couple key questions.

First, how can a proven blazing speed influence like Ward have sired a son who appears to be such a thorough stayer?

And, more importantly, where do we get a bet down on this cross country slog?

The youthful Ward is surely five star nap material if his dad is so keen to be on hand to watch him!

This guy has a horse vying for favoritism in four different Breeders' Cup races...and he's staying home to watch a boys cross-country race?

How do you even watch a cross-country race? It's not on a course. It's a bunch of anorexic looking dorks plodding through woods and streets, I thought.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:22 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
This guy has a horse vying for favoritism in four different Breeders' Cup races...and he's staying home to watch a boys cross-country race?

How do you even watch a cross-country race? It's not on a course. It's a bunch of anorexic looking dorks plodding through woods and streets, I thought.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:25 AM
Arlington Park

I don't think it's the state championship. Could be wrong...but yeah.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Santa Anita

Cross Country is extremely grueling. The best harriers are the best because of strong, long-time physical and emotional commitment. I'm thinking that his son's making it to the State Championship is extraordinarily important to both son and father, and Ward wouldn't miss it for the world (championships).

A lot of cross country courses are out in the open, especially large scale races like state championships (ours was held at the KHP), and spectators can see the race multiple times by simply moving around a bit. Wiry? Usually. But not anorexic.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:40 AM
The Curragh

He wasn't there last year either.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach Luv View Post
He wasn't there last year either.
And Baffert hasnot come east for Haskell, Pa Derby etc too

Blaise Pascal
Old 10-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Cross Country is extremely grueling. The best harriers are the best because of strong, long-time physical and emotional commitment. I'm thinking that his son's making it to the State Championship is extraordinarily important to both son and father, and Ward wouldn't miss it for the world (championships).

A lot of cross country courses are out in the open, especially large scale races like state championships (ours was held at the KHP), and spectators can see the race multiple times by simply moving around a bit. Wiry? Usually. But not anorexic.
Family first!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
And Baffert hasnot come east for Haskell, Pa Derby etc too
Did you just draw a comparison of similarity between having 4 legitimate Breeder's Cup runners to the PARX Derby?

I would have bought the kid a Go Pro and watched it live from Arcadia.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Did you just draw a comparison of similarity between having 4 legitimate Breeder's Cup runners to the PARX Derby?

I would have bought the kid a Go Pro and watched it live from Arcadia.
Go Pro's have wireless/bluetooth capability now?

Think he is pretty smart to miss it because I don't see him winning any with those 4 horses.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Oriental Park

So why did Smith get off the favorite to ride Ambitious Brew? These guys aint so smart I guess.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:39 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
Go Pro's have wireless/bluetooth capability now?

Think he is pretty smart to miss it because I don't see him winning any with those 4 horses.
facepalm
Old 10-31-2014, 06:54 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Listen, I just shoved my middle-aged ass into a Catwoman suit because my 4-year-old wanted his parents in costume for trick-or-treating, and, as he was the Flash this year, it was important to him that we all be thematically similar. Kids end up on top of all kinds of priority lists for parents. Trust me, Ward is getting off easy.

On a related note, Arrow has raised Green Arrow's profile considerably, as only three people thought my husband was Green Lantern. Well, and one person thought he was Peter Pan, but I think that person was fairly inebriated.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
Listen, I just shoved my middle-aged ass into a Catwoman suit because my 4-year-old wanted his parents in costume for trick-or-treating, and, as he was the Flash this year, it was important to him that we all be thematically similar. Kids end up on top of all kinds of priority lists for parents. Trust me, Ward is getting off easy.

On a related note, Arrow has raised Green Arrow's profile considerably, as only three people thought my husband was Green Lantern. Well, and one person thought he was Peter Pan, but I think that person was fairly inebriated.
you just have to post that picture!
Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
you just have to post that picture!