Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
unless it comes up muddy again, he will be hot and dirty. Would have been nice if Someone mentioned he had a good mud foot . One would think with all the people there, that someone would have noticed. I guess you don't notice unless you put your racing form or iPad down once in a while and look at the hosses.

I don't get the insult, but OK..and I don't have an IPAD
Old 05-14-2017, 11:16 PM
Les Bois

one of the more comfortable bet against propositions, is with any horse doing something he/she has never done, with fast turn around for a young fiery horse, at different track, and do we know what will happen and what kind of horse he is if he doesn't have lead and needs to pass other talented colts at top of stretch? all this for between 4/5-9/5 odds enjoy...
Old 05-14-2017, 11:26 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by raininthrees View Post
one of the more comfortable bet against propositions, is with any horse doing something he/she has never done, with fast turn around for a young fiery horse, at different track, and do we know what will happen and what kind of horse he is if he doesn't have lead and needs to pass other talented colts at top of stretch? all this for between 4/5-9/5 odds enjoy...

Good post. Much not to like about Always Dreaming and his dream run in the derby
Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Churchill Downs

Should read.....

Always Dreaming likely to defeat 9 in Preakness
Old 05-17-2017, 06:26 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by raininthrees View Post
Nonsense. Im not his biggest fan, but he rates kindly. Did he pass horses in the Fla Derby?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I'm not interested in the chart. I watched the race, and particularly the start, quite a few times. Nobody got "crushed." Hyperbole is a dangerous thing.

If people rely on the chart comments in KY for their wagering decisions, they are broke.
And that's what makes this game great Andy... I saw a lot more trouble at the start than you did. Neither of us is wrong.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:36 PM
Steve Byk

Old 05-17-2017, 10:02 PM
Churchill Downs

4/ w 5-1-3/ w 5-1-2-3-9 trifecta

Winna Winna Chicken Dinna!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:27 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
4/ w 5-1-3/ w 5-1-2-3-9 trifecta

Winna Winna Chicken Dinna!
More like a ham sandwich
Old 05-18-2017, 06:20 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
And that's what makes this game great Andy... I saw a lot more trouble at the start than you did. Neither of us is wrong.
Does anyone have a replay link that includes the head-on view of the start?

After reading BTW's comments I went back to watch the replays again, and I'd have to agree with him that in the standard overhead view, the start doesn't look that bad. However, it was the head-on view that I remember showing CE being bumped sideways extremely hard, almost off his feet. I don't totally trust my memory here, but I couldn't find a link that shows anything more than the standard network race replay, without the head-ons.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:57 AM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Does anyone have a replay link that includes the head-on view of the start?

Head on replay of Always Dreaming winning the 2017 Kentucky Derby
Old 05-18-2017, 08:35 AM
Calder Race Course

Thanks. Excellent view. It can be looked at differently by each person, but all I see is McCraken bumping CE and pushing CE to the inside of the track - where he probably wanted to be anyways. IMO, its marginal if the start cost CE any final positioning.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Havre de Grace

Those hosses who ran 1-2 got the best trips for sure
Old 05-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfla View Post
Thanks. Excellent view. It can be looked at differently by each person, but all I see is McCraken bumping CE and pushing CE to the inside of the track - where he probably wanted to be anyways. IMO, its marginal if the start cost CE any final positioning.
The flow in the run to the first turn was steady and the field separation was ideal for minimizing ground loss on the turn. I thought it was one of the more uneventful runs to the first turn comparatively speaking.

Hence was the only horse losing ground to the field in the 1st 1/16 of a mile which can be seen on the overhead view ( yellow cap with black silks ) . Hence actually got a good start despite the chart caller's " in tight at the break " comment. Once he checked out of his position Geroux yanked him toward the rail right outside of Lookin at Lee. He was further outrun by LAL throughout the remainder of the race so it's difficult for me to make a case for him.Though given the Preakness post positions it wouldn't surprise if he gets first run on LAL for the underneath slots.

Last edited by Port Conway Lane : 05-18-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM
The Curragh

Thanks!

It still looks like a violent hit on Classic Empire and a stumble to me, but I can see how others might view it differently.

Also interesting is the view at about 1:10, where all but the front 4 have a solid coating of mud on their heads and front quarters. That can't have been pleasant. By the end of the race, there was one black horse and 18 mud-caked brownish greys.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Hialeah Park

Not sure if I've seen this anywhere or not, but it looked to me that Classic Empire's trouble at the start was some of his own doing, no?

The horses to his outside did him no favors, but it seemed to me that CE broke and his first few steps out of the gate were to his right. That said, shouldn't Leparoux have known that the horses in the auxiliary gate were to be coming inward for position sake??
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Not sure if I've seen this anywhere or not, but it looked to me that Classic Empire's trouble at the start was some of his own doing, no?

The horses to his outside did him no favors, but it seemed to me that CE broke and his first few steps out of the gate were to his right. That said, shouldn't Leparoux have known that the horses in the auxiliary gate were to be coming inward for position sake??
Leparoux don't give two sh!ts about the break in any race ever.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:00 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post

I agree, Classic Empire definitely made things worse by taking a couple steps toward the outside.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:10 PM
The Curragh

This race has merry-go-round written all over it. AD + CMM with CE really close as long as Julien doesn't have his head up his @ss, and they just cruise around the track and it's an even more boring race than the Derby.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:02 AM
Ellis Park

As a rule of thumb I avoid second choices with a passion,but I think Classic Empire is the one on Saturday.