Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
why were there so many less injuries when players didn't wear helmets. Bobby Hull's shot with a wooden stick was harder than any of these guys with there fancy sticks. There was nothing more exciting watching The Roadrunner coming busting over center ice with a full head of steam and a full head of hair. Part of the allure of the great Bobby Orr was that you could see him. The game was so exciting back then it was incredible, not this zone trap bull. Non playoff hockey is a joke and needs a change.
There are two types of injuries in hockey..or..any other sport. Call them intended, or unintended..ie...hitting a guy in the head with a stick or...getting tripped up on an icing call and going face first into the boards.

I agree..I think..that if everyone did not wear a helmet it might minimize the intended stuff..but...if a helmet helps reduce the unintended (slapshot in the head)..why in the world would you want to campaign for no headgear?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Havre de Grace

Don't put your head in front of a slapshot. If you do get hit the helmet isn't gonna save you. Why do all these guys have concussions if they all wear helmets ? Not thugs, big stars....open your mind
Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Don't put your head in front of a slapshot. If you do get hit the helmet isn't gonna save you. Why do all these guys have concussions if they all wear helmets ? Not thugs, big stars....open your mind
Your First sentence..huh? Your second sentence...are you kidding?? your third sentence..how many more would if they weren't...And Al Bundy, I have and do skate...OK..Serious question...would you send your kid out without a helmet?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i know there aren't many hockey fans, but that there are a few. anyone else sweating the negotiations? i've already paid for nhl center ice, they better have a season!!!!
As an AHL season ticket holder, I'm selfishly rooting for a delayed start to see some young NHL'ers for a few months.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

1-absolutely absurd.
2-mike green got hit by a pick just above his ear last season. the helmet was the difference in him only missing the rest of that game, vs missing weeks- or something worse.

concussions will occur regardless of helmets. and many times they come with a check in open ice. not a cheap hit, not boarding...look at crosby when he got hit a couple times within a week. neither was a blow to the head. but with the force of his head being whipped in one direction and then another because of a check, he got concussed. the head doesn't actually have to hit an object to get a concussion.
however, i promise you that the players suffering hits to their head are happy to have a helmet between their noggin and whatever is hitting them. but to suggest that a player would be better off without a helmet is unrealistic.

as for the talks of bobby orr...you do remember about the removal of the rule against a two-line pass just a few years ago? that has sped up the game considerably. many feel that is why there are more concussions occurring these days. not because of helmets being worn.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Havre de Grace

Default home of the braves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARyan View Post
As an AHL season ticket holder, I'm selfishly rooting for a delayed start to see some young NHL'ers for a few months.
The Boston Braves games were as good as the Bruins games back in the Terry O'Reilly days.

Danzig my point is that with a helmet on the players get a feeling of invincibility which cause these hits at so high a speed. Like in football, do you think those safeties would be dealing out those hits if they weren't wearing helmets.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is that 12 year old kids should be wearing helmets on Bicycles.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
The Boston Braves games were as good as the Bruins games back in the Terry O'Reilly days.

Danzig my point is that with a helmet on the players get a feeling of invincibility which cause these hits at so high a speed. Like in football, do you think those safeties would be dealing out those hits if they weren't wearing helmets.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is that 12 year old kids should be wearing helmets on Bicycles.
er, do they face frozen pucks?

and yes, i get your point about a feeling of invincibility. however, i think you're overstating that part of the case. players know that even with a helmet, they can still suffer injury. thus, they don't necessarily feel they are invincible.
besides, if that was the only way a player was injured in the head, due to a high speed collision, you'd be onto something. except that it's not.

as for dirty hits, i hope they continue to give out hefty suspensions. but i'd rather have a helmet then not, in case a dirty shot was ever delivered.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4968953_hi...y-helmets.html

you can't prevent a variety of scenarios from occurring, all you can do is offer protection.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
Your First sentence..huh? Your second sentence...are you kidding?? your third sentence..how many more would if they weren't...And Al Bundy, I have and do skate...OK..Serious question...would you send your kid out without a helmet?
Seems to me, AS would like to see the NHL All Star game type play every night. I don't watch the All Star game so I can comfortably say that I wouldn't watch helmetless hockey with no hitting and guys making sure they stay out of they way of slapshots.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
Seems to me, AS would like to see the NHL All Star game type play every night. I don't watch the All Star game so I can comfortably say that I wouldn't watch helmetless hockey with no hitting and guys making sure they stay out of they way of slapshots.

and how can guys stay out of the way anyway? they don't all necessarily have their eye on the puck the entire time-we all know how quickly the game moves.
hard to avoid the thing if your back is to the shot. hard to avoid even if you're looking at it! guys get hit by the puck quite often in a game when they block shots.

couple years ago, nick backstrom played a portion of a power play without a stick. i doubt he'd have involved himself quite so much in the penalty kill without a helmet; he blocked several shots with his body. amazing display.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Havre de Grace

a la Don Awrey ?

how come nothing ever happened to MacTavish. What about the 50 years before the helmet. Don't forget hockey players are tough. They can take it. I would like to see a poll of the players. example. you are making 800K, if you stop wearing the helmet, your salary goes right to 960K. what would the vote be ?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Sha Tin

There is a better chance of players playing for free than w/o helmets. Just because of the liability alone there is absolutely no chance that this happens. Not to mention that the idea that seeing a hockey players hair is somehow going to make the games better or more popular is so inane that it sounds like something the NTRA would come up with.

But it still isnt as ridiculous as left handed pitchers having an advantage in Fenway Park.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 AM
The Curragh

The lockout begins.... Matt, I'm glad you got out to NYC and protested yesterday, but couldn't you have found a couple more friends to join you?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...P0QNRqWBMP2LuO
Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
The lockout begins.... Matt, I'm glad you got out to NYC and protested yesterday, but couldn't you have found a couple more friends to join you?

Old 09-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
There is a better chance of players playing for free than w/o helmets. Just because of the liability alone there is absolutely no chance that this happens. Not to mention that the idea that seeing a hockey players hair is somehow going to make the games better or more popular is so inane that it sounds like something the NTRA would come up with.

But it still isnt as ridiculous as left handed pitchers having an advantage in Fenway Park.

All the sox Great hitters were lefties. Why? Cause it's a left hand hitters park. Ray Culp pitched the first opening day I went to. Caught a foul ball from Veda Pinson. How any times have u been to Fenway ?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post

very disappointed that they couldn't avoid a lockout.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
All the sox Great hitters were lefties. Why? Cause it's a left hand hitters park. Ray Culp pitched the first opening day I went to. Caught a foul ball from Veda Pinson. How any times have u been to Fenway ?
Dewey, Rice, Manny, Fisk, Bucky Dent..come on
Old 09-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
if no one gets to wear one, the concussions go away. Man , you just don't get it do ya ?
Have you ever laced em up ? The helmet ruined hockey. Ask Bobby Orr, he'll tell you about it. He never wore one.
Wow, don't even know where to begin with this one...ever get hit in the head with a puck shot with a composite stick? Ever have a puck deflected up at your head? Ever take an inadvertent high stick to the head? Yup, you convinced me, the helmet is unnecessary.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
Dewey, Rice, Manny, Fisk, Bucky Dent..come on

TED WILLIAMS, Carl Yastrezmski, a couple of triple crown winners, and hall of famers, were the sox best 2 hitters
Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
All the Sox great hitters were lefties? Like Jim Rice? Manny Ramirez? Nomar? Fisk? Dwight Evans? Bobby Doerr? Vern Stevens?

How many times have I been to Fenway has nothing to do with the laughable idea that Fenway Park is a haven for left handed pitchers. Its almost as idiotic as saying that the NHL should get rid of helmets but that is just a pointless opinion. The fact that the Red Sox best left handed pitcher in the last 70 years is Jon Lester should be proof enough.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:08 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
All the Sox great hitters were lefties? Like Jim Rice? Manny Ramirez? Nomar? Fisk? Dwight Evans? Bobby Doerr? Vern Stevens?

How many times have I been to Fenway has nothing to do with the laughable idea that Fenway Park is a haven for left handed pitchers. Its almost as idiotic as saying that the NHL should get rid of helmets but that is just a pointless opinion. The fact that the Red Sox best left handed pitcher in the last 70 years is Jon Lester should be proof enough.
Bill The Spaceman Lee??