Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Default nhl

i know there aren't many hockey fans, but that there are a few. anyone else sweating the negotiations? i've already paid for nhl center ice, they better have a season!!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:28 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i know there aren't many hockey fans, but that there are a few. anyone else sweating the negotiations? i've already paid for nhl center ice, they better have a season!!!!
you better hope you can get some rosetta stone Russian for cheap and also get your cable provider to switch the offer to the KHL center ice-package....

они не собираются получить сделку

-bt-
Old 09-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
you better hope you can get some rosetta stone Russian for cheap and also get your cable provider to switch the offer to the KHL center ice-package....

они не собираются получить сделку

-bt-

yeah, not looking too promising right now.
and nyet to learning russian; i'm still working on spanish.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Havre de Grace

Default easy as A B C

Ban the helmet, 20% salary raise for everyone, teen age girls crowding the rinks, everybody makes money, lots of money. When these dopey Canadians realize this is entertainment, and when fans can see the players faces, they become bigger fans. Non fans, become fans. I bet a third of them would take them off now if they could.

"the least common thing in the world is common sense" - The Unpredictable Johnny Rodz
Old 09-14-2012, 04:32 AM
Goodwood

Two lockouts in less than a decade is undescribably stupid for a sport in these economic times.

The hardcore fans will be there when they start playing again, but they can't afford to lose the casual fans who will take their rapidly dwindling descretionary funds elsewhere.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:29 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Ban the helmet, 20% salary raise for everyone, teen age girls crowding the rinks, everybody makes money, lots of money. When these dopey Canadians realize this is entertainment, and when fans can see the players faces, they become bigger fans. Non fans, become fans. I bet a third of them would take them off now if they could.

"the least common thing in the world is common sense" - The Unpredictable Johnny Rodz
Yeah the NHL hasn't had any issues with concussions lately...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 AM
The Curragh

I think Larry Brooks is the best hockey writer out there, and he summarizes the situation quite well in today's article:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devil...wLQvEQBP8hffvO
Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Yeah the NHL hasn't had any issues with concussions lately...

if no one gets to wear one, the concussions go away. Man , you just don't get it do ya ?
Have you ever laced em up ? The helmet ruined hockey. Ask Bobby Orr, he'll tell you about it. He never wore one.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
if no one gets to wear one, the concussions go away. Man , you just don't get it do ya ?Have you ever laced em up ? The helmet ruined hockey. Ask Bobby Orr, he'll tell you about it. He never wore one.
you've got to be kidding me.

and the helmet 'ruined' hockey? i didn't know hockey had been ruined. i enjoy it as much now as i did back when there was no hockey rule. i suppose next you'll be advocating no helmets in the nfl as well? then they won't get helmet to helmet hits and everything will be a-ok. because we all know that head injuries only occur when there is a helmet to helmet hit.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Havre de Grace

there are no helmet to helmet hits in hockey. Comparing football is apples and oranges. No helmets mean everyone is vulnerable, and the dirty play stops.They played for many years with no helmets and there were not many concussions. Alot of missing teeth, yes, but ther are better mouthpieces now. Don't forget there is a money incentive here, both for players and owners.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
you've got to be kidding me.

and the helmet 'ruined' hockey? i didn't know hockey had been ruined. i enjoy it as much now as i did back when there was no hockey rule. i suppose next you'll be advocating no helmets in the nfl as well? then they won't get helmet to helmet hits and everything will be a-ok. because we all know that head injuries only occur when there is a helmet to helmet hit.

oh now I get it Tretiak...the ruskies used to wear helmets when the NHL wasn't wearing them. But then Fred Shero's Flyers showed the world what a bunch of little pussiez they really were. They were practically crying out there on the ice.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
there are no helmet to helmet hits in hockey. Comparing football is apples and oranges. No helmets mean everyone is vulnerable, and the dirty play stops.They played for many years with no helmets and there were not many concussions. Alot of missing teeth, yes, but ther are better mouthpieces now. Don't forget there is a money incentive here, both for players and owners.
I was going to type a long response to this but I will just summarize it. You are an idiot.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
yep, they played for years without helmets, and looking back, they were insane.

yes, i know there typically aren't helmet to helmet hits in hockey. that was my point. helmets in hockey prevent a variety of injuries besides a helmet to helmet, including pucks getting shot into someone's head. you think those puck hits would magically end because they stop wearing helmets? when a guy goes to block a shot in a power play kill, the puck won't ever have a chance of hitting him in the head? with modern sticks, with more flex, and more speed in a shot, you want to get hit in the head with that frozen rubber? no helmet, no visor. i think a lot of players like their visors. we had a guy in the nhl almost lose an eye because of no visor.
i tell you what, you go play a season as an experiment, without a helmet, and let me know how that works out for you.
and what exactly is the point of your last line?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Flemington

Quote:

Quote:
I'm a cool guy in person, It just loses something in the translation. I suck on the internet. Worse at texting. It's annoying to me to be this uncool out here. When i read some of my posts, I find it hard to believe I typed it. Oh well. Part of going soft I guess.
Congrats on your consistency.
Or was this another lost in translation moment?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Havre de Grace

Default we 3 kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
I was going to type a long response to this but I will just summarize it. You are an idiot.

you are , no doubt, the nitwit who brought the myrrh. It's tough to type a long response when you have to respond to the truth, with no ammo to back you up
Old 09-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Flemington

Quote:
you are , no doubt, the nitwit who brought the myrrh. It's tough to type a long response when you have to respond to the truth, with no ammo to back you up
re-read post 13.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Havre de Grace

the sticks come down, and you don't do a Don Awrey blocking shots on the power play. You don't screen the goalie and let him see and stop the shot.
I doubt any of you guys ever really played hockey. Even now when we rent the ice and play pickup games, about 3 guys wear helmets (no cage or visor) and no one else does.

Craig McTavish......
Old 09-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Flemington

Quote:
the sticks come down, and you don't do a Don Awrey blocking shots on the power play. You don't screen the goalie and let him see and stop the shot.
I doubt any of you guys ever really played hockey. Even now when we rent the ice and play pickup games, about 3 guys wear helmets (no cage or visor) and no one else does.

Craig McTavish......
You sir, are a f.ucking idiot. You are seriously comparing pond/rec hockey to the NHL?

Oh yeah, What about when a guy gets tripped or slew-footed and he cracks his head on the ice? Or is tripping not going to happen in your backyard hockey game either?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

Craig McTavish......
it doesn't even have to be a blocking shot. those pucks come flying...

and i doubt the guys you play with are comparable with ovechkin, crosby and the like.
i can't believe you think it would be a good idea to completely change how hockey is played, just so people don't have to wear a helmet. makes no sense.
people have gotten injured after a puck hit them in the helmet, and you want them not to have that? that is completely absurd.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Havre de Grace

why were there so many less injuries when players didn't wear helmets. Bobby Hull's shot with a wooden stick was harder than any of these guys with there fancy sticks. There was nothing more exciting watching The Roadrunner coming busting over center ice with a full head of steam and a full head of hair. Part of the allure of the great Bobby Orr was that you could see him. The game was so exciting back then it was incredible, not this zone trap bull. Non playoff hockey is a joke and needs a change.