Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Idlewild Airport

I would say the ring that Halladay's wife had was between 6 and 8 carats. You could hardly see her fingers.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post
I will disagree that Werths best season came in 2010. I think it was 2009. He put up his best stats in 2010, but he was really horrible with runners in scoring position. like .162 or even worse. He had a few streaks where he was awesome... like the first few weeks when he seemed to hit 3 doubles per game.. but he was the last person on the Phillies roster you wanted up to bat in crunch time this year.

no way on earth I'd want the phils to keep werth for 7 years 126 mil. I read they offered 3 years 54 mil, which is fine.

he is a very good outfielder though, and has a terrific arm. i believe he can also throw a 95 mph fast ball and play catcher quite well!
Either way he is not a star player and you dont give non-stars long term contracts worth that kind of money. I thought the phils offered 4 for 64.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Circa 2005-2006, the Tigers had to grossly overpay to get anybody to come to Detroit. I think the Nationals are in a similar situation, and with the two faces of the franchise injured and/or in the minors through 2012 at the earliest, it seems like management felt they had to do something to keep fan interest.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Oaklawn

Nats reportedly set to offer Cliff Lee a 7-year deal worth over $200 mil. He's good but.......7 yr and $200 mil?

Probably an attempt by the org to give impression to fan base that they are trying to spend money.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Circa 2005-2006, the Tigers had to grossly overpay to get anybody to come to Detroit. I think the Nationals are in a similar situation, and with the two faces of the franchise injured and/or in the minors through 2012 at the earliest, it seems like management felt they had to do something to keep fan interest.
I dont think this will create fan interest. As a matter of fact I dont think there was much non-Strausberg interest anyway.

Winning creates fan interest (except tampa, sorry Bigs/rudeboy)

They need their homegrown guys to create a strong base and then add to fill in the holes. Right now there are just too many holes. Second base, 1st base, left field, the bullpen, center field, the entire rotation, catcher.

The thing is they have pieces. Zimmerman the 3rd baseman is a very good player, Zimmerman the pitcher is probably the best pitcher they have coming into the season. Desmond at SS is pretty good. Espinosa at 2nd base may be ok. they have 2 really good catching prospects a year or 2 away. Obviously Strausberg. Obviously Harper.There are some pitching prospects a few years away. If they keep signing guys that are in their prime now but will be in decline in a few years they will hamstring themselves when they should be peaking AND raise the expectations too high now and maybe really do something dumb like trade prospects at the deadline.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heels1989 View Post
Nats reportedly set to offer Cliff Lee a 7-year deal worth over $200 mil. He's good but.......7 yr and $200 mil?

Probably an attempt by the org to give impression to fan base that they are trying to spend money.
Werth is a big mistake. This would be a monumental mistake unless they are ready to join the $150 million a year payroll. Werth and Lee alone would be 45 million. I guess the lessons of the SF world Series win are lost on the nats.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Woodbine

No luv for Shaun Marcum to the Brewers? Decent deal for the Crew and all they had to give up was a good catching prospect in Lawrie who you can find some nice pics on Deadspin or facebook. Marcum isn't a #1 but he is a solid 2 or 3 and should help improve the pitching staff
Old 12-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiphan View Post
No luv for Shaun Marcum to the Brewers? Decent deal for the Crew and all they had to give up was a good catching prospect in Lawrie who you can find some nice pics on Deadspin or facebook. Marcum isn't a #1 but he is a solid 2 or 3 and should help improve the pitching staff
Does anyone in Wisconsin really give a s.hit about any team not named the Packers?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Does anyone in Wisconsin really give a s.hit about any team not named the Packers?
Believe it or not milwaukee is a great baseball city, but 1 playoff appearance in 25+ years doesn't help. Ultimately the state lives and dies with the pack though
Old 12-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I dont think this will create fan interest. As a matter of fact I dont think there was much non-Strausberg interest anyway.

Winning creates fan interest (except tampa, sorry Bigs/rudeboy)

They need their homegrown guys to create a strong base and then add to fill in the holes. Right now there are just too many holes. Second base, 1st base, left field, the bullpen, center field, the entire rotation, catcher.

The thing is they have pieces. Zimmerman the 3rd baseman is a very good player, Zimmerman the pitcher is probably the best pitcher they have coming into the season. Desmond at SS is pretty good. Espinosa at 2nd base may be ok. they have 2 really good catching prospects a year or 2 away. Obviously Strausberg. Obviously Harper.There are some pitching prospects a few years away. If they keep signing guys that are in their prime now but will be in decline in a few years they will hamstring themselves when they should be peaking AND raise the expectations too high now and maybe really do something dumb like trade prospects at the deadline.
I will give them a little credit. They are doing a pretty darn good job of marketing these days.

They did a bad job with the stadium design in that it is about as boring as you get but they do a really good job of making it extremely fan friendly.

On the baseball side, they have made some pretty poor moves starting with not trading adam dunn at the break for prospects and then letting him go for nothing.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:13 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post

On the baseball side, they have made some pretty poor moves starting with not trading adam dunn at the break for prospects and then letting him go for nothing.
I am almost positive that Dunn was a type A and they will get a 1st round draft pick for him.

edit-Dunn was a type A and Washington gets Chicago's 1st round pick and a sandwich pick (between the 1st and 2nd rounds). Essentially they get a 1st and 2nd round pick. Of course they may lose their own 1st rounder with the Werth signing which is another reason that was a bad deal.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Pimlico

they dont lose their first rd pick for Werth..Its protected so they lose their second rd to Philly..
Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Pimlico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Werth is a big mistake. This would be a monumental mistake unless they are ready to join the $150 million a year payroll. Werth and Lee alone would be 45 million. I guess the lessons of the SF world Series win are lost on the nats.

Did I miss something? Did Barry Zito, Aaron Rowand and Edgar Renteria all decide to void their signings and give the $$ back? Giants payroll is in excess of $100 mill. and the 4 guys who carried them ( Lincecum, Cain, Wilson and Sanchez) make up less than 20 of that.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenroypa View Post
Did I miss something? Did Barry Zito, Aaron Rowand and Edgar Renteria all decide to void their signings and give the $$ back? Giants payroll is in excess of $100 mill. and the 4 guys who carried them ( Lincecum, Cain, Wilson and Sanchez) make up less than 20 of that.
The point was that huge free agent signings didnt help the Giants win. As a matter of fact most of the big money contracts that they are paying did very little to help. Yes Zito had a good 1/2 of a season and Renteria played well in the World Series but they certainly didn't get their money's worth from those 3.

The Giants opening day payroll was 96 million.
18.5 went to Zito
12 went to Rowand
10 went to Renteria

So 40 million went to guys who were hardly better than replacement level players.

Do you think the Giants wish they werent on the hook to those two stiffs (Zito and Rowand) for the next 3 or 4 years? They won in spite of them and because they had a solid base of mostly homegrown pitching. Washington doesnt presently have that luxury.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:43 AM

The park they built for the Nats is fine, but the problem is that you still have the best ballpark in all of baseball like 45 miles away, so that kind of takes away from the novelty of the place. The second problem for the Nationals is that DC is such a transient place that virtually any team with half a fan base (Phillies, Mets, Cardinals, even the Tigers) almost always outnumber Nationals fans when they come to town.

Do I think the Werth signing was smart? Absolutely not. But in the absence of the club's future for at least next season, does it make sense from a marketing perspective? Absolutely.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Goodwood

Benoit and Pena gone...

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ml...ory?id=5898142

Crawford and Soriano next.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
The park they built for the Nats is fine, but the problem is that you still have the best ballpark in all of baseball like 45 miles away, so that kind of takes away from the novelty of the place. The second problem for the Nationals is that DC is such a transient place that virtually any team with half a fan base (Phillies, Mets, Cardinals, even the Tigers) almost always outnumber Nationals fans when they come to town.

Do I think the Werth signing was smart? Absolutely not. But in the absence of the club's future for at least next season, does it make sense from a marketing perspective? Absolutely.
I can't agree with your marketing take. Werth isn't a big name player. He just isn't. They arent getting a significant spike in attendance because of Jason Werth.

If they signed Jeter or Big Papi for 3 years I would say that it was done as a marketing move. But this is a 7 year, 126 million dollar contract for a good not great, fairly anonymous guy. If they signed him as a marketing move it is worse than if they signed him as a baseball move. In April Forbes estimated the entire net worth of the nationals at $378 million. Are you telling me Jason Werth is worth 1/3 of the value of your entire franchise? By any measure?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM

WHen your big name signings since the team moved here were guys like Jason Marquis and Cristian Guzman, Jayson Werth is a pretty huge name.

Cannon, trust me, nobody went to Nationals games last year unless Strasburg was pitching. If they can ink Lee, I bet he'd have a similar effect. I can see why they're doing what they're doing, though like you, I don't know how successful it will be in a town where the baseball team has already left twice in the last fifty years.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
WHen your big name signings since the team moved here were guys like Jason Marquis and Cristian Guzman, Jayson Werth is a pretty huge name.

Cannon, trust me, nobody went to Nationals games last year unless Strasburg was pitching. If they can ink Lee, I bet he'd have a similar effect. I can see why they're doing what they're doing, though like you, I don't know how successful it will be in a town where the baseball team has already left twice in the last fifty years.
I agree.....the Nats are looking for relevancy to their fan base. If the fans feel management is trying...they'll increase the crowds hopefully.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

I dont have a problem with Werth per se. I have a problem with 7 years.

If you want to create buzz sign Carlos Pena for 2 years and 25 million. He probably would have done that. Then you solve a area of weakness, get a 2nd tier star to promote and in 2 years from now hopefully some of your prospects will be major league ready and you can get another pick for Pena if he plays well.

Destroying your salary flexibility by signing creeping up on past their prime guys to long term, impossible to move if they go wrong contracts is a killer. Lee if signed may make 16 starts at Home. Can anyone really justify the amount of money that they will need to pay to get him for 16 starts? He proved in Seattle that he doesn't walk on water and wont make a bad team good. Signing these guys is folly because it will prevent them from addressing all the other issues they have unless they are prepared to double their current salary levels.