Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
I think Sanchez is the best QB that was drafted... No way would I spend a #1 pick on Stafford. If I were the lions I would have traded down or picked up Sanchez/Smith/Curry.

I get where you are coming from Joey with the no WR's thing.. but you can always pick them up.. Sanchez is IMO a franchise QB who will have an awesome career. He really should not start this year, but knowing how trigger happy teams are these days they will probably throw him in.

The future of the Jets is much better with this guy on your team.
Throw in the fact that Rex Ryan got to see it happen first hand, successfully, just last year. The Jets are one playmaker away offensively.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor
Throw in the fact that Rex Ryan got to see it happen first hand, successfully, just last year. The Jets are one playmaker away offensively.

I dont know... just because it worked out well last year for Flacco and Ryan, doesnt mean it should be the norm. I believe it is very beneficial for a QB to spend a year or two learning the system before they start.

I dont know much about the Jets o-line... is it solid? They had a good running game last year so it must be decent at least right?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I dont know... just because it worked out well last year for Flacco and Ryan, doesnt mean it should be the norm. I believe it is very beneficial for a QB to spend a year or two learning the system before they start.

I dont know much about the Jets o-line... is it solid? They had a good running game last year so it must be decent at least right?

well not solid eneough for the coach to go for it on some key 4 and 1's this year , well see how man genius does in Clev
Old 04-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
The future of the Jets is much better with this guy on your team.
Here's my problem with this justification, and I hate using the term but: the Jets are built to win now. Even if Sanchez does develop to be great in 2-3 years, it's really one step forward and two steps back.

Look at all of the freaking money we've spent the last two offseasons. Now we're just going to let these contracts get paid out while waiting for a quarterback to develop?

Kris Jenkins is gonna be useless in two years. So is Faneca. TJ will be useless in two years. Pace is in his prime, Revis and Harris are entering their primes, Lito Sheppard is basically in a contract year this season. Leon will hopefully re-sign, but who knows for sure if he'll be here after this season? We just gave a billion dollars to Bart Scott, etc. etc.

The point is that I don't wanna hear about the Jets' future when we spent $200 million the last two offseasons. I don't wanna hear about how great Sanchez is gonna be in three years. Even if that pans out, what kind of team will he inherit and how much wasted money will there have been?

What's really disappointing to me is the overwhelming positive reaction from Jet fans. I understand that we haven't drafted a potential franchise QB in a while, and Sanchez is definitely an exciting pick, but jeez, these idiots are exactly the people Woody was banking on when demanding this trade. "OOOH! A SHINY NEW QUARTERBACK! CAN'T WAIT TO BUY HIS JERSEY SIX MONTHS BEFORE HE TAKES A SNAP!" They're also the same people who were turning over cars when Tangini didn't draft Leinart.

If they go out and get a receiver (who are these tons of receivers available?), he'd better be cheap. After the Sanchez contract gets done, the Jets will have next to no cap room.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Very good run blocking line, below average in pass blocking.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
i don't think he will do jail time - it's an opinion , i think the giants were just tired of him , but, i say he gets community service
I believe that the Giants would have taken him back. But since his court date/trial (which was supposed to take place at the beginning of the month) was delayed until I believe June, forced the Giants hand. They just couldn't afford to sit there, wait and do nothing until the trial. Then if he gets jail time, then they are really screwed. Instead they released him and went on their way on making their team better.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Here's my problem with this justification, and I hate using the term but: the Jets are built to win now. Even if Sanchez does develop to be great in 2-3 years, it's really one step forward and two steps back.

Look at all of the freaking money we've spent the last two offseasons. Now we're just going to let these contracts get paid out while waiting for a quarterback to develop?

Kris Jenkins is gonna be useless in two years. So is Faneca. TJ will be useless in two years. Pace is in his prime, Revis and Harris are entering their primes, Lito Sheppard is basically in a contract year this season. Leon will hopefully re-sign, but who knows for sure if he'll be here after this season? We just gave a billion dollars to Bart Scott, etc. etc.

The point is that I don't wanna hear about the Jets' future when we spent $200 million the last two offseasons. I don't wanna hear about how great Sanchez is gonna be in three years. Even if that pans out, what kind of team will he inherit and how much wasted money will there have been?

What's really disappointing to me is the overwhelming positive reaction from Jet fans. I understand that we haven't drafted a potential franchise QB in a while, and Sanchez is definitely an exciting pick, but jeez, these idiots are exactly the people Woody was banking on when demanding this trade. "OOOH! A SHINY NEW QUARTERBACK! CAN'T WAIT TO BUY HIS JERSEY SIX MONTHS BEFORE HE TAKES A SNAP!" They're also the same people who were turning over cars when Tangini didn't draft Leinart.

If they go out and get a receiver (who are these tons of receivers available?), he'd better be cheap. After the Sanchez contract gets done, the Jets will have next to no cap room.
how could sanchez not get past john david booty in pratice camp? does anyone really believe pete carroll wouldn't have put him in earlier if he tohught sanchez gave him a better chance that david booty
Old 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
how could sanchez not get past john david booty in pratice camp? does anyone really believe pete carroll wouldn't have put him in earlier if he tohught sanchez gave him a better chance that david booty
I would definately throw out that handicapping angle Marty.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid

Edwards
Boldin
Flexico

Huge drop to the group.
Michael Clayton
Jerry Porter
Ashley Lelie
Brandon Lloyd
DJ Hackett
Reggie Williams
Koren Robinson

Package up something nice and call Mangini for Brickhands, I mean Braylon Edwards. (that was tough to do to a Michigan alum.) In all honesty, I have no clue as to what they should do, but it has to be something. Mark CLayton and Malcom Floyd are unsigned restricted if i'm not mistaken.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor
Edwards
Boldin
Flexico

Huge drop to the group.
Michael Clayton
Jerry Porter
Ashley Lelie
Brandon Lloyd
DJ Hackett
Reggie Williams
Koren Robinson

Package up something nice and call Mangini for Brickhands, I mean Braylon Edwards. (that was tough to do to a Michigan alum.) In all honesty, I have no clue as to what they should do, but it has to be something. Mark CLayton and Malcom Floyd are unsigned restricted if i'm not mistaken.
Don't forget Matt Jones.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
i don't think he will do jail time - it's an opinion , i think the giants were just tired of him , but, i say he gets community service
I don't know where this idea that he may not do jail time is coming from, but I do know New York State law. The charge that he is facing is called a Class C Violent Felony which carries a minimum of 3 1/2 years jail, maximum 15 years. Even if he could somehow get the Manhattan District Attorney to offer a lower level felony where generally there is no minimum jail sentence, there is a specific exception for loaded guns that requires a minimum of a 1 year jail sentence, unless mitigating circumstances can be shown. While an argument can be made that mitigating circumstances exist here in that Burress did not point the gun at or threaten anyone with it, he did not shoot or hurt anyone other than himself, and there does not seem to be any intent to use it other than to have it to defend himself, Judges will rarely agree to mitigating circumstances and it is a tough sell in any case, let alone one being scruitinized by the media.

The Manhattan DA, as most prosecutors in the New York Metropolitan Area, tend to be tough on loaded guns. While nothing surprises me in criminal law, I do have to believe that considering the plea bargain statutory restrictions, it is highly likely that Burress is going to jail for at least a year, or more likely, at least 2 years even on a reduced plea bargain.

There is a reason why the Giants cut ties with him.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclem0822
Don't forget Matt Jones.
Uh, NO THANKS. Soft as a marshmellow, not to mention his off-field issues, I believe and hope the Jets will take a pass.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer
Uh, NO THANKS. Soft as a marshmellow, not to mention his off-field issues, I believe and hope the Jets will take a pass.
Agreed, I was kidding of course I wouldn't touch him either.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclem0822
Don't forget Matt Jones.
Amani Toomer, he even has a locker in the building.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisotisotis
all of a sudden the laughable Bengal D is appearing legit. I have a feeling Maugamalu will be on the outside since his former teammate will be returning from the broken jaw deliverer by Ward .
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. The first thing they teach you is to keep your head on a swivel.