Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008, 07:16 AM
The Curragh

Default Report: Sabathia chooses Yankees, 6-year deal

i hope its not true, but if it is, its just another case of the Yanks and their bottomless pockets getting the best FA money can buy. I hope they NEVER make it back to the world series. This coming like 2 days after he was unimpressed with the club

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3759182

take the money and run dough boy

-bt-
Old 12-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Aqueduct

Default I hate the Yankees!

Yes I hate the Yankees but I must admit they usually run their franchise as most of us would hope our teams would run their businesses. They usually sign the best and hope for the best. I do like seeing them in the playoffs because it is all the sweeter when they come up short in the playoffs.

Yes, Sabathia is a good one but we all know how hard it is for pitchers to be consistantly good. I didn't want them to sign Santana last year because for my $$$$ he is the best!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickhorse
Yes I hate the Yankees but I must admit they usually run their franchise as most of us would hope our teams would run their businesses. They usually sign the best and hope for the best. I do like seeing them in the playoffs because it is all the sweeter when they come up short in the playoffs.

Yes, Sabathia is a good one but we all know how hard it is for pitchers to be consistantly good. I didn't want them to sign Santana last year because for my $$$$ he is the best!
yeah they do a great job.....

They do an awful job of running the baseball side. Despite having the biggest bankroll they run the team like a fantasy league team, stressing signing high priced stars who often have hit their peak already and ignore player development which is a far better way of building a good team.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell

They do an awful job of running the baseball side. Despite having the biggest bankroll they run the team like a fantasy league team, stressing signing high priced stars who often have hit their peak already and ignore player development which is a far better way of building a good team.
Cannon: player development doesn't stroke the Ego like signing a star player does!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Del Mar

Quote:

You are right and its sad. When Steinbrenner got suspended for those years and the club was being run by stick and company, thats what sprouted the golden years for the yankees. Poor Cashman wants to do it again but the egos of Hal and Hank won't let him. So instead of letting a talented pitcher like Phil Hughes take his lumps, they would sooner give Big money to a guy like Burnett who will be dead money by the time that contract is up.

They have so much money that they could spend on scouting and player development that they could create a dynasty that would last a long time. They just cant take being mediocre for a year or two to get there.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Flemington

Two days of face-to-face meetings with the Yankees in Las Vegas, followed by Cashman's session Tuesday night with Sabathia and his wife, Amber, in the San Francisco area, sealed this deal.

THEY HAD TO ADD ANOTHER YEAR, AND 20 MIL !! OMG...Yankees remind me of an old man begging a hot young chick to live with him(she even does research to see just how awful it gun be to give g' pa some head.). You'll learn to love me!! She wants to be with like any other guy, but grandpa shows her the money. C.C. gunna be the best paid ho in the land.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
Cannon: player development doesn't stroke the Ego like signing a star player does!
It does when you call up an Evan Longoria or David Price. but it takes work and brains along with good scouting and player evaluation.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
It does when you call up an Evan Longoria or David Price. but it takes work and brains along with good scouting and player evaluation.
You forgot the key word: Patience.

They had some of the best scouts money can buy. The problem is their moves suck away the draft picks and their impatience doesnt allow for the good ones to develop.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
You are right and its sad. When Steinbrenner got suspended for those years and the club was being run by stick and company, thats what sprouted the golden years for the yankees. Poor Cashman wants to do it again but the egos of Hal and Hank won't let him. So instead of letting a talented pitcher like Phil Hughes take his lumps, they would sooner give Big money to a guy like Burnett who will be dead money by the time that contract is up.

They have so much money that they could spend on scouting and player development that they could create a dynasty that would last a long time. They just cant take being mediocre for a year or two to get there.
the ironic part is that they are already mediocre. They never think ahead. sabathia is a very good pitcher NOW. He is fat and we are no longer in the steroid era. Pitchers will fall off as they age once again.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:

They had some of the best scouts money can buy. The problem is their moves suck away the draft picks and their impatience doesnt allow for the good ones to develop.
Good point.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

Yeah, a guy like Hughes is still going to be a very good pitcher but who really believes the Yankees will be patient enough to wait for it to happen.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Flemington

Yanks act like they are run by TURKS.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Yanks act like they are run by TURKS.
Hey Villanova has a Turk who actually plays
Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
or a Cole Hamels, Chase Utley or a Ryan Howard...
Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 AM
The Curragh

What a surprise CC took the truck load after squeezing every last bit of patience on everyones part. At least he won't be batting against the Red Sox......wait a minute there is no rule that says he can't. I don't think I have ever seen it but you could sit a weak hitting catcher and let the pitcher hit couldn't you if he had a decent stick ala Rick Ankeel
Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Hey Villanova has a Turk who actually plays
Turkey Glue got 24 last night. Turkey Bankshot in the house. Brothers were mobbing him, but I don't know why. Maybe they were almost all in the 4th quarter.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Turkey Glue got 24 last night. Turkey Bankshot in the house. Brothers were mobbing him, but I don't know why. Maybe they were almost all in the 4th quarter.
maybe some dead sheep inspired the performance
Old 12-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Flemington

Excuse me. I have to listen to a song a TURK was supposed to be half thru with, but says he is done with.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
What a surprise CC took the truck load after squeezing every last bit of patience on everyones part. At least he won't be batting against the Red Sox......wait a minute there is no rule that says he can't. I don't think I have ever seen it but you could sit a weak hitting catcher and let the pitcher hit couldn't you if he had a decent stick ala Rick Ankeel
or Melky Cabrera
Old 12-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
too long-term for this management