Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Cavanaugh should've been out a long time ago. Sparano was an unmitigated disaster. Tannenbaum deserved to be canned based on how badly he screwed up what was a top 5 team in 2010. Pettine supposedly didn't get fired.

For everyone clamoring for Rex to get fired, I have news for you: Rex is as good a coach as the Jets have had since Ewbank and is as good as any coaching candidate out there. Look at the stiffs who have been hired so far. For all the criticism, he's still 40-34 overall and 4-2 in the playoffs. Obviously it's not ideal to have great success your first two years and fade down the stretch of your next two, but the guy needs a QB. He put together a top 10 defense this season without the best cover corner in history and has cultivated two studs on the DL in Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples. Sanchez was too putrid for the defense to even be able to bail him out this season.

There's no way Sanchez can be back as the starter. The fans absolutely despise him and I have to imagine the rest of the locker room is sick of cleaning up his messes too. Alex Smith would be the perfect quarterback for this team, a guy who can make plays with his legs and doesn't turn the ball over, so that's my wish, but regardless of what they do, bringing in a competent starting QB has to be priorities A through Z for this offseason. After that, I'd look at trying to find another RB in the draft. Somebody like Gio Bernard or Eddie Lacy or taking a flier on a home run threat like Kenjon Barner. Contrary to popular belief, the receiving corps isn't terrible, they just had a ton of injuries in 2012.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:05 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Cavanaugh should've been out a long time ago. Sparano was an unmitigated disaster. Tannenbaum deserved to be canned based on how badly he screwed up what was a top 5 team in 2010. Pettine supposedly didn't get fired.

For everyone clamoring for Rex to get fired, I have news for you: Rex is as good a coach as the Jets have had since Ewbank and is as good as any coaching candidate out there. Look at the stiffs who have been hired so far. For all the criticism, he's still 40-34 overall and 4-2 in the playoffs. Obviously it's not ideal to have great success your first two years and fade down the stretch of your next two, but the guy needs a QB. He put together a top 10 defense this season without the best cover corner in history and has cultivated two studs on the DL in Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples. Sanchez was too putrid for the defense to even be able to bail him out this season.

There's no way Sanchez can be back as the starter. The fans absolutely despise him and I have to imagine the rest of the locker room is sick of cleaning up his messes too. Alex Smith would be the perfect quarterback for this team, a guy who can make plays with his legs and doesn't turn the ball over, so that's my wish, but regardless of what they do, bringing in a competent starting QB has to be priorities A through Z for this offseason. After that, I'd look at trying to find another RB in the draft. Somebody like Gio Bernard or Eddie Lacy or taking a flier on a home run threat like Kenjon Barner. Contrary to popular belief, the receiving corps isn't terrible, they just had a ton of injuries in 2012.
This is an incredibly optimistic view, which I admire. Rex is a terrific defensive coach/coordinator. I don't think losing Pettine (who definitely chose not to come back and wasn't fired, IMO) will be an issue at all. But to say Rex is a quality Head Coach? I can't say that. I did write previously in this thread, and still believe, although it's highly unlikely, they need to hire an OC that is strong enough to in essence act as a co-head coach, and do the things Rex can't. Basically play bad cop to his good cop. And hold people accountable for what they do on the field.

I am not quite as sold as you are on Wilkerson and Coples, as the Jets STILL couldn't rush the passer this year, although it became moot when they stank up the joint in every other facet.

And it's a bit premature to call the receiving corps, well, you called them not terrible (how dare you!). Hill wasn't on the field enough to know if he can play or not (his First game against the Bills was it. He was a non-factor the rest of the season). Kerley is a nice slot receiver. Holmes???? Who the Fck knows. And who will be the tight end next season? Rumor is that they will not bring back Keller, who missed almost the entire season without a major injury. And I haven't even gotten to the QB or offensive line issues??? I agree they must replace Greene at running back, who simply hasn't gotten any better since his rookie year. He just doesn't break enough tackles.

The last place schedule is the only thing I'm hanging my hat on right now
Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Saratoga

Quote:

I will say a prayer for you tonight that you get your wish and get Alex Smith.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
This is an incredibly optimistic view, which I admire. Rex is a terrific defensive coach/coordinator. I don't think losing Pettine (who definitely chose not to come back and wasn't fired, IMO) will be an issue at all. But to say Rex is a quality Head Coach? I can't say that. I did write previously in this thread, and still believe, although it's highly unlikely, they need to hire an OC that is strong enough to in essence act as a co-head coach, and do the things Rex can't. Basically play bad cop to his good cop. And hold people accountable for what they do on the field.

I am not quite as sold as you are on Wilkerson and Coples, as the Jets STILL couldn't rush the passer this year, although it became moot when they stank up the joint in every other facet.

And it's a bit premature to call the receiving corps, well, you called them not terrible (how dare you!). Hill wasn't on the field enough to know if he can play or not (his First game against the Bills was it. He was a non-factor the rest of the season). Kerley is a nice slot receiver. Holmes???? Who the Fck knows. And who will be the tight end next season? Rumor is that they will not bring back Keller, who missed almost the entire season without a major injury. And I haven't even gotten to the QB or offensive line issues??? I agree they must replace Greene at running back, who simply hasn't gotten any better since his rookie year. He just doesn't break enough tackles.

The last place schedule is the only thing I'm hanging my hat on right now
Wilkerson played at an All-Pro level this season, the only reason he didn't make the Pro Bowl is a lack of notoriety. I'm projecting a bit with Coples, but I think he showed enough in limited snaps to suggest he'll be 10+ sack guy next season.

Receiving corps is only an issue if Holmes' injury affects him going forward. Hill was basically injured all season but his potential is undeniable. Kerley is a perfect slot receiver and Cumberland is not a big downgrade from Keller. Offensive line is middle of the pack, not as good as it was in 2009-10, but not a huge need area either. They'll let Greene walk, Powell looked OK in spurts but they need either a bruiser like Lacy or a gamebreaker like Barner. Absent that, McKnight needs more touches.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM
The Curragh

And now Dave Caldwell, who appeared to be the top candidate for the GM job, just chose the Jags over the Jets?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
And now Dave Caldwell, who appeared to be the top candidate for the GM job, just chose the Jags over the Jets?
Tom Gamble is and has been the top candidate. It'll be a huge upset if he doesn't get the job. I assume Caldwell knew this.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Wilkerson played at an All-Pro level this season, the only reason he didn't make the Pro Bowl is a lack of notoriety. I'm projecting a bit with Coples, but I think he showed enough in limited snaps to suggest he'll be 10+ sack guy next season.

Receiving corps is only an issue if Holmes' injury affects him going forward. Hill was basically injured all season but his potential is undeniable. Kerley is a perfect slot receiver and Cumberland is not a big downgrade from Keller. Offensive line is middle of the pack, not as good as it was in 2009-10, but not a huge need area either. They'll let Greene walk, Powell looked OK in spurts but they need either a bruiser like Lacy or a gamebreaker like Barner. Absent that, McKnight needs more touches.
Holmes cancerous attitude concerns me more than his foot. And I think you are underestimating the offensive line issues. I did not watch the game (thank god) where they allowed McElroy to get sacked 11 times, but, 11 times? Tied the team record set by Replacement players.... Powell did show me enough this year to be ok with his return. Cumberland? Not sold at all.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Tom Gamble is and has been the top candidate. It'll be a huge upset if he doesn't get the job. I assume Caldwell knew this.
That's what I had heard and read also, and figured his being able to work with Rex was the key there, but it was Caldwell, and not Gamble, who got the first call-back for a 2nd interview. If Gamble is there guy, they have a strange way of showing it.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Holmes cancerous attitude concerns me more than his foot. And I think you are underestimating the offensive line issues. I did not watch the game (thank god) where they allowed McElroy to get sacked 11 times, but, 11 times? Tied the team record set by Replacement players.... Powell did show me enough this year to be ok with his return. Cumberland? Not sold at all.
You should watch the game. The protection was not good, but McElroy was miserable in the pocket. Ran into sacks several times.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Flemington

Quote:
This is an incredibly optimistic view, which I admire. Rex is a terrific defensive coach/coordinator. I don't think losing Pettine (who definitely chose not to come back and wasn't fired, IMO) will be an issue at all. But to say Rex is a quality Head Coach?:
Rob Ryan fired by Dallas,
I wonder where he could end up. Hmmmmmmmmm.......................................
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Morris Park

We will never make it as long Rex is our coach. If the Jets win more than 7 games next year I will be shocked. He should have been thrown out with Tannenbaum. Woody is a jerkoff who should have brought the team back to Queens but thats another story. I've been rooting for them since they started and this is as bad as it gets. No O line no qb no receivers next year gonna suck.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Rob Ryan fired by Dallas,
I wonder where he could end up. Hmmmmmmmmm.......................................
For the same reason Rob didn't wind up with the Jets the last time, I don't see it happening now. First of all, if he did, the Circus would be even larger than it already is. But more importantly, Rex was loyal to Pettine last time, and he is loyal to Dennis Thurman now. Thurman has been with Rex forever. So if Rob were to show up, it probably wouldn't be as D Coordinator. Maybe there is another brother hidden somewhere who knows something about OFFENSE?????
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Flemington

Rob back on the market again.

Chris Mortensen @mortreport 8m
After another visit Monday, the Rams decided Rob Ryan won't be defensive coordinator. Rams coach Jeff Fisher: "It wasn't a scheme fit."
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
The Curragh

Heard this morning they are considering bringing in Jamarcus.