Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Belmont Park

You need to have one of the 2 highest priced packages on DirecTV in order to get this channel. I'm not sure what the distribution is like on FIOS or local cable, but for DirecTV customers, they've isolated a solid chunk of their subscription base from ever seeing it.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizer View Post
I don't know. There are some players who have led extraordinary lives and done amazing things. There are hundreds of really good people who would make great stories (including some in the show). But, there are also a few who I would not want to be associated with when the world thinks about what a horse player is.

Paul
i agree, interesting back stories and player theories will be what makes the show last not a few idiots screaming at a tv screen for their #
Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Poker tournaments had been televised on ESPN long before Poker caught fire.

What eventually made a difference was putting cameras underneath the table, which showed the cards each player was dealt.

This allowed for taking a painfully long and boring stretch of poker play, and editing it down to the most impactful and interesting hands. Also, placing the mathematical calculations showing what percent chance the hand had of eventually winning, and having a good, funny, commentator like Norman Chad were also major boosts.

In order for this show to be successful -- it has to be presented in a way that the viewer wants to understand and learn the strategy behind it.

I think the idea of following tournament players around isn't a good idea. It's been tried before by ESPN, they did an episode a few years back, and it was horrible TV.

It's easier for filming though, obviously.

Betting horses for a living is an extreme 'what you put in, is what you get out' type of game -- and it is played over the long run. Tournaments are more about chasing after longshots and trying to outscore people over a very limited amount of racing.

There was once a fairly major tournament won by a lady, and she claimed she did it by a mix of selecting gray horses or horses ridden by Shane Sellers. You can get lucky, catch fire, and win a tournament with virtually any off the wall method. However, you're going to get utterly destroyed if you tried to make a living as a bettor, doing that.

In Poker tournaments, you're going to be playing hundreds of hands in a day and making a ton more betting decisions. That reality reduces the luck factor. In horse racing tournaments, your options and opportunities are greatly reduced.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Fairgrounds

I am not sure I agree. There are a million silly reality shows that are very popular because viewers like the people and want them to succeed.

These are all people chasing a million dollar prize. That, in itself, is intriguing.

To be successful, I am not sure anyone really need to understand horse play (although it would help). As long as the people are ones people want to root for, it could work.

The show ESPN did before was just the NHC. There was no way anyone would care since they didn't know the people. This is a season long chase of the big prize. That is why I am disappointing in some of those chosen for this show. There are many others who would be more compelling and are good people. Instead, they chose some who will come off as cartoon characters.

Paul
Old 12-17-2013, 04:56 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
I'm just hoping someone finally gets to use that footage of Hellmers, his headband and his girlfriend from the 2012 BCBC.
They should have been following/filming the guy at our table with the old stack of DRF's dressed in Goodwill's finest.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am not sure I agree. There are a million silly reality shows that are very popular because viewers like the people and want them to succeed.
I should have said successful as it relates to the greater good of horse racing.

If cameras weren't hidden under the table in Poker...it never would have taken off.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
I should have said successful as it relates to the greater good of horse racing.

If cameras weren't hidden under the table in Poker...it never would have taken off.
Totally agree with that statement.

Paul
Old 12-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Esquire website

Here it is. Look under the tab for channel finder for your TV source

http://tv.esquire.com/shows/horsepla...tncrew-wrapper
Old 12-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post

That part about poker on TV is 100% true.. So the show should show the results of race first and then the handicapping build up
Old 12-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
That part about poker on TV is 100% true.. So the show should show the results of race first and then the handicapping build up
I doubt the show will be about the handicapping process at all. It will be like the Amazing Race for horse players where you follow a group of people competing for a million dollars.

Paul
Old 12-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Saratoga

They should change the name to Douchebags...
Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
I doubt the show will be about the handicapping process at all. It will be like the Amazing Race for horse players where you follow a group of people competing for a million dollars.

Paul
I really don't quite understand the reason to rag on it without seeing it. As I mentioned, I saw about ten minutes of it, and roughly 2 of the 10 were actually devoted to dissecting the form of a race, and why players were picking who they were picking in a mandatory contest race.

It's like you guys are trying to handicap the show on handicappers. Wait for it, watch it, review...or just enjoy.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
I really don't quite understand the reason to rag on it without seeing it. As I mentioned, I saw about ten minutes of it, and roughly 2 of the 10 were actually devoted to dissecting the form of a race, and why players were picking who they were picking in a mandatory contest race.

It's like you guys are trying to handicap the show on handicappers. Wait for it, watch it, review...or just enjoy.
You are correct. And, I will give it a chance if I can find it (I don't get the channel). My main point was that knowing some of these individuals, I worry how the "horseplayer" will be portrayed.

Paul
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
You are correct. And, I will give it a chance if I can find it (I don't get the channel). My main point was that knowing some of these individuals, I worry how the "horseplayer" will be portrayed.

Paul
Think about how most people view horseplayers anyway based on some outdated stereotypes.

How could it possibly be worse than what they think already?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Frederick View Post
Think about how most people view horseplayers anyway based on some outdated stereotypes.

How could it possibly be worse than what they think already?
I just saw the trailer for 50-1 (Mine That Bird story) and this show cant be any worse than that was. I literally cringed through the entire trailer. To me it almost looked like they made it into a comedy (on a very, very small budget). I hope i'm wrong, but In my opinion this isn't going to be the 2014 version of SeaBiscuit that could give the sport a little shot in the arm.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
I just saw the trailer for 50-1 (Mine That Bird story) and this show cant be any worse than that was. I literally cringed through the entire trailer. To me it almost looked like they made it into a comedy (on a very, very small budget). I hope i'm wrong, but In my opinion this isn't going to be the 2014 version of SeaBiscuit that could give the sport a little shot in the arm.
That was pretty brutal
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Fairgrounds

Default Horseplayers on Esquire network

I saw an ad for this show last night. It's coming up in January.
http://tv.esquire.com/shows/horseplayers
Old 01-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Bank View Post
I saw an ad for this show last night. It's coming up in January.
http://tv.esquire.com/shows/horseplayers
Bump

Tuesday, January 21, 10 pm eastern

What to do ? Opposite , Person of Interest on CBS , a watcher.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Bump

Tuesday, January 21, 10 pm eastern

What to do ? Opposite , Person of Interest on CBS , a watcher.
It's also opposite Justified, and both are on past my bedtime. Happy my DVR can record two shows at once.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydb View Post
By the way - if Esquire is supposed to be aimed at men, what's with all the "Sex and the City" replays on there? WTF?
that's the show about 4 hookers ...and their mother ?