Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Steve Byk

Default NYTHA Lasix Primer & Letter to NYS RWB

For those that would like to know more: http://nytha.com/pdf/the_lasix_question.pdf
Old 05-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i think i posted this same link in that very, very long thread begun a few weeks back on lasix. i recommend everyone read it, as i found it very informative.

i applaud the people who want to clean up horse racing. i just don't agree with where they've focused their energies.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Churchill Downs

I would encourage anyone who believes that banning raceday Lasix is a mistake to click the attached link and send your name to the NYSRWB as opposed to any proposal to ban raceday Lasix: http://takeaction.nytha.com/.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
I would encourage anyone who believes that banning raceday Lasix is a mistake to click the attached link and send your name to the NYSRWB as opposed to any proposal to ban raceday Lasix: http://takeaction.nytha.com/.
Done. Thanks for the link.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Santa Anita

A lot of good information, but also plenty omitted and clearly biased.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
A lot of good information, but also plenty omitted and clearly biased.
Good. That means it's at least level with the omitted and biased information promulgated by the opposition.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Good. That means it's at least level with the omitted and biased information promulgated by the opposition.
Of course. Are you going to post that side as well?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
No. You can if you want to though.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I believe the cleanracing.org thread would qualify.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
No. You can if you want to though.
I've given my thoughts. I'll have to check the thread others mention since I didn't see it.

The biggest thing I have trouble with is that nobody wants to test if horses that don't need Lasix run faster with it than without it. Everything I've learned about racing in 30 years of following the sport seems to point to the fact that it does, but nobody wants to address this.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I've given my thoughts. I'll have to check the thread others mention since I didn't see it.

The biggest thing I have trouble with is that nobody wants to test if horses that don't need Lasix run faster with it than without it. Everything I've learned about racing in 30 years of following the sport seems to point to the fact that it does, but nobody wants to address this.
as i've asked before, how can you tell if a horse needs it? it's my understanding that eiph can occur at any time without warning, and that severe enough episodes can cause permanent lung damage. so, how does one determine when a horse will bleed? and if you can't tell, isn't it better to prevent something that could happen, rather than have regret for not preventing it, and having permanent consequences as a result?
it is also my understanding that the only enhancement is that a horse hindered by bleeding is no longer hindered when given lasix. that way he can run to his talent-not below, not above.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

Some horses run faster in blinkers than without them but no one is suggesting that they are performance enhancers when they clearly can be.

Just sayin...
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Some horses run faster in blinkers than without them but no one is suggesting that they are performance enhancers when they clearly can be.

Just sayin...
They aren't a drug...just sayin...
Old 05-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
as i've asked before, how can you tell if a horse needs it? it's my understanding that eiph can occur at any time without warning, and that severe enough episodes can cause permanent lung damage. so, how does one determine when a horse will bleed? and if you can't tell, isn't it better to prevent something that could happen, rather than have regret for not preventing it, and having permanent consequences as a result?
it is also my understanding that the only enhancement is that a horse hindered by bleeding is no longer hindered when given lasix. that way he can run to his talent-not below, not above.
So we are back to this...just drug all horses whether they need it or not.

I keep hearing this about only helping a horse run to its ability, but I don't think it is true.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
They aren't a drug...just sayin...
Either is a buzzer/joint

However under the definition of performance enhancer that you are placing on lasix they all can produce the same result. Yet one is illegal, one no one even mentions as a performance enhancer though it clearly can enhance performance and the other is lasix.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
So we are back to this...just drug all horses whether they need it or not.

I keep hearing this about only helping a horse run to its ability, but I don't think it is true.
It clearly helps in preventing bleeding but for some reason that is always ignored.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Either is a buzzer/joint

However under the definition of performance enhancer that you are placing on lasix they all can produce the same result. Yet one is illegal, one no one even mentions as a performance enhancer though it clearly can enhance performance and the other is lasix.
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the debate on Lasix. Buzzers are illegal, so who cares? You want to ban blinkers because they enhance performance, be my guest. I don't care. But clearly the public is going to see a big difference between legal equipment and legal drugs. What is next, tongue ties? Bandages? Different bits? I say we stick to drugs.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
It clearly helps in preventing bleeding but for some reason that is always ignored.
I'm not ignoring this at all. I'm ceding that point. I'd be foolish not to do so. If you want to pretend there aren't trainers using Lasix because they think it gives the horse an edge, we'll just have to disagree. I know better.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the debate on Lasix. Buzzers are illegal, so who cares? You want to ban blinkers because they enhance performance, be my guest. I don't care. But clearly the public is going to see a big difference between legal equipment and legal drugs. What is next, tongue ties? Bandages? Different bits? I say we stick to drugs.

Under the definition that makes Lasix a performance enhancer all of these things qualify. So why stop at Lasix? Are tongue ties natural to horses? Ever see a set of blinkers on a horse in the wild?

"Let the horse, not the equipment, determine the outcome"
Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Under the definition that makes Lasix a performance enhancer all of these things qualify. So why stop at Lasix? Are tongue ties natural to horses? Ever see a set of blinkers on a horse in the wild?

"Let the horse, not the equipment, determine the outcome"
I already said I'm fine with that, but they aren't drugs. There really isn't a comparison here, just a "Stretch Armstrong" type reach.