Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Del Mar

Default Star Wars: The Last Jedi....

Watched this one today, thought it was fantastic. Great action sequences, and I thought the acting was terrific, in particular Adam Driver and a nice supporting performance from Laura Dern. Some very emotional moments and images, involving the late Carrie Fisher in her most famous portrayal one last time.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclem0822 View Post
There's more drama in the conversation in that film, than in most other dramas. Brilliant film.
Yep. That was a brilliant movie indeed. Hard to believe (inconceivable?) it was co written by the guy from The Princess Bride who also played the Grand Nagus on Star Trek Deep Space Nine.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:42 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Yep. That was a brilliant movie indeed. Hard to believe (inconceivable?) it was co written by the guy from The Princess Bride who also played the Grand Nagus on Star Trek Deep Space Nine.
Wallace Shawn, he is very talented. Don't forget he's also the voice of Rex the green Dinosaur from the Toy Story films
Old 12-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I saw Dunkirk, thought it was boring and had little to do with reality.

Churchill was one of the biggest douchebags of the 20th century. I expect the movie to glorify him, as usual.

Which leads me to the movie I did most recently watch. My Dinner with Andre.
You know who was way over rated was Montgomery. he made a lot of blunders in the big one.

but I love WW11 movies and try to see them all. I liked the 2 pitt movies Fury and Allied.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:44 PM
Churchill Downs

another good one...older film...but worthy of a watching.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:48 PM
Churchill Downs

have to see this too. Could be a contender.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:55 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
have to see this too. Could be a contender.
For sure on my list of ones to see!
Old 12-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Goodwood

I just saw the new Star Wars and thought it was pretty mediocre.

For those who haven't heard of it, movie pass seems cool. 10 bucks a month gets you one free movie ticket a day for any movie and any theater, non 3d or Imax type showings. I just found out about it and signed up. The person who told me about it said his friend watched 26 movies in one month with it.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:14 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
I just saw the new Star Wars and thought it was pretty mediocre.

For those who haven't heard of it, movie pass seems cool. 10 bucks a month gets you one free movie ticket a day for any movie and any theater, non 3d or Imax type showings. I just found out about it and signed up. The person who told me about it said his friend watched 26 movies in one month with it.
Heard something about this, but what company is it or which theatre chain I guess is a better way to phrase it? If memory serves, in terms of my local area it is a clear across town chain with only 1 theatre which kinda sucks in terms of using it a lot, but still sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip though.
I disagree about Star Wars, which I already wrote about in a prior post. Perhaps JJ Abrahams being back in the directors chair for the next installment might peak your interest. I certainly am looking forward to that, I have been following this franchise since I was 7 freakin years old, I am not quitting any time soon lol!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Heard something about this, but what company is it or which theatre chain I guess is a better way to phrase it? If memory serves, in terms of my local area it is a clear across town chain with only 1 theatre which kinda sucks in terms of using it a lot, but still sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip though.
I disagree about Star Wars, which I already wrote about in a prior post. Perhaps JJ Abrahams being back in the directors chair for the next installment might peak your interest. I certainly am looking forward to that, I have been following this franchise since I was 7 freakin years old, I am not quitting any time soon lol!
JJ Abrams is the biggest hack ever. His writing is on par with what was written for the prequels.

Movie pass isn't restricted to a chain or chains.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:26 PM
Churchill Downs

Thumbs up

Wow!...Hard to describe what I just saw this evening.......but GO SEE IT!
Old 12-24-2017, 04:36 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
I saw Dunkirk, thought it was boring and had little to do with reality.
We finally got to see Dunkirk Friday night.. Thought it was terrific and fraught with tension, arcing towards desperation, from the opening scene.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
We finally got to see Dunkirk Friday night.. Thought it was terrific and fraught with tension, arcing towards desperation, from the opening scene.
Yeah, that is the general consensus on it. Maybe having read alot about the actual event killed any suspense for me.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:58 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
That's next up for me. looking forward to it.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:15 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Could not agree more Steve! To me with seeing it in the theatre, with the dolby sound etc. it made the tension palpable!
Old 12-29-2017, 03:33 AM
Del Mar

Default Christmas Day.....

Went to see " Downsizing" I thought it was very good, visually a masterpiece solid work from Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz I thought was very funny in his role, and an Oscar nomination for Hong Chau's performance has got to be forthcoming she was brilliant. Director Alexander Payne has established an amazing body of work, films like Nebraska, The Descendants, Sideways, Election among others. I cannot think of a film he's directed that has disappointed and Downsizing is no exception.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:33 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Went to see " Downsizing" I thought it was very good, visually a masterpiece solid work from Matt Damon, Christoph Waltz I thought was very funny in his role, and an Oscar nomination for Hong Chau's performance has got to be forthcoming she was brilliant. Director Alexander Payne has established an amazing body of work, films like Nebraska, The Descendants, Sideways, Election among others. I cannot think of a film he's directed that has disappointed and Downsizing is no exception.
Pretty strong review.....Saw the trailers at the movies...still not sure yet if i will see it....but have to consider it.

so far 3 billboards is still my #1 or best picture
Old 12-30-2017, 04:01 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
Pretty strong review.....Saw the trailers at the movies...still not sure yet if i will see it....but have to consider it.

so far 3 billboards is still my #1 or best picture
I agree with you, I think Downsizing is very good but not better than 3 Billboards, and I also would place Lady Bird above it and perhaps more pictures I am still needing to see more contenders. Might see Shape of Water today, not sure quite yet, and I also look forward to seeing Molly's Game, I am a big fan of Aaron Sorkin's writing and this is his directorial debut.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:06 AM
Hialeah Park

Have any of you guys seen Get Out? Finally saw it recently and need to see it again...
Old 12-30-2017, 10:20 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
Have any of you guys seen Get Out? Finally saw it recently and need to see it again...
Yes! I thought it was very well done and entertaining.