Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2021, 05:46 PM
Oriental Park

Default Sad News as one our Long Time Family has Passed Away

I learned from Plenilune a day or so ago that El Prado (Kathy) passed away. I think her last name is Keegan. She had health problem, many severe and agonizing ever sense I got to know her on our forum(s). She was in and out of hospitals often, not sure exactly what her predominant issues were but I understand they were numerous . . . including fighting cancer. She complained about reoccurring seizures which seemed very hard for her doctors to treat.

We PM'd often over the years and exchanged emails as well. She was a real character, feisty and tough as nails (obviously). She didn't mind throwing out expletives when she shared her stories of frustration. "Some of my doctors have to be f-ing idiots", was a common remark. She was an adroit handicapper and definitely looked at the horses with a different eye, although a caring and loving eye. I truly enjoyed hearing her uninhibited "no holds bared" take on sports and the world. She was on of a kind!!!

She used to be a competitive billiards player and loved to tell me about beating some highly regarded pool hustlers, well known in the sport. I can bet she picked up some good money now and then for it. If I recall, I think she used to manage a pool hall.

We hadn't seen her here for many months. I though off and on about trying to reach out to her and feel badly that I didn't. I also "threatened" to visitor her in Florida when Patty and I made out next trip. She welcomed that offer with enthusiasm. But again, I never got around to making that trip and meeting her in person. I truly missed out on an interesting and special occasion.

As we all get older, life's tendency is to deal cards we don't like and don't expect. Many of us are in that boat but be assured that this is a family, a wonderful family. We have fun, we share thoughts and ideas and we teach each other. Sometimes we even disagree and even say things we shouldn't . . . families are like. And that's OK.

I know Kathy is being Kathy in a much better place and likely scratching her head about some of my lack luster handicapping and maybe some of yours too.

Rest in Peace Kathy!!!

I'm sure there was much more to Kathy than my limited knowledge so if you would like to add your experiences or thoughts about her here please do so. And I must add, all of you are a very important part of my life and many here have been for a very long time. I LOVE ALL OF YOU!!!
Old 02-26-2021, 06:05 PM
Oriental Park

FYI - thinking back and doing some checking September 2019, I believe, was the last time she actively participated on this forum. That's my best search but Real Quiet, our SIC, Statistician In Chief, likely has more accurate info.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:40 AM
The Curragh

Nice writeup Don. El Prado was one of a kind and will be missed but not forgotten. RIP Kathy.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:23 PM
Hawthorne

Don, I appreciate that you took the time to do a "eulogy" for us. I did not know El Prado well but I did exchange emails with her several times. She did enjoy talking about her prowess on a pool table and let's face it - that alone made Kathy a unique woman!

At any rate, I just want to say that I found Kathy's candor refreshing and her willingness to reach out admirable. Unfortunately, it was apparent that she had serious health issues even though it was really difficult to understand the extent or exact nature of her ailments.

Rest in peace, El Prado.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:07 PM
Del Mar

Thank you DG. El Prado was certainly one of a kind. She loved her appaloosas. She loved horseracing and playing pool. She was never afraid to say what she meant and I loved her for that. She is very much missed. RIP Kathy.