Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2021, 08:40 PM
Del Mar

Default Venue 02.20.2021

It looks like the best place to play is Laurel Park. Right now, the weather report looks like it will be fine for a nine race card this Saturday.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:28 AM
Oriental Park

The Laurel card is already available for Saturday. Agree that it looks the best. It is a shame that Oaklawn had to postpone the Southwest due to weather issues.

As we think about our next contest, I'm also worried about our friends in Texas who may be in the dark and cold after the most recent storm. Don and Cruzan, I hope you are well and have power.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:53 AM
Havre de Grace

Laurel sounds good to me. I think I actually did ok there the last time that was the venue; however, that means nothing since I also did well the first time we played Fair Grounds this year and the last two times we've been there, it knocked me down and stomped on me. It's sort of like those disclaimers on investment that say something like "past performance is no guarantee of future performance."

I think our friends in Texas got hammered and do wish them well. We don't seem to have fared too badly here in Arkansas at least so far, but more snow to come. Not sure how much we got. My guess would be somewhere between 8 and 10 inches. Snow doesn't seem to be the problem. As long as we don't get a lot of ice, I imagine we'll be ok. Ice, of course, is what brings down the tree limbs on the power lines. We were way overdue for this type of thing as I'm thinking, the last one was about 14 or 15 years ago. Minus 3 here this morning.
Possibly colder than that last night. Have seen colder, but you guys probably see that cold and colder every year, so I can't complain.

Last edited by cal828 : 02-16-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:45 AM
The Curragh

Don't know about JB but minus 3 is something I haven't seen in Jersey for a long time. The snow is probably worse.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:20 AM
Havre de Grace

I can see where snow might be worse as you guys shovel it off walks and driveways. I don't have a sidewalk and I'm not going anywhere so no shoveling. I'm not even going to shovel it off my deck. If I did, it would likely make it dangerous. If I did, it would probably melt a bit and develop a sheen of ice that would be lying in wait for me. I've pretty much avoided the deck except put some birdseed out for the little critters.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:43 PM
Golden Gate

Actually, I live in Central Virginia and we're supposed to get 5-8 inches of snow and ice on Thursday and Friday with temps in the teens Saturday morning.. Laurel Park is about 3 hours north. We'll see. I hope we don't get that much. We're just recovering from last week's ice storm.

Hoping our friends in Texas get some relief soon.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:12 PM
Oriental Park

According to weather.com Thursday and Thursday night in the DC area look pretty bad [probably the same storm Alli mentioned as it heads northeast], but the snow and rain should taper off by Friday late afternoon and be clear and cold by Saturday, with temps in the low 30's. Laurel can be quick to cancel but is less likely to on a major race day. Think positive and hope for the best.

Last edited by JolyB : 02-16-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:48 AM
The Curragh

Default Optimistic Forecast

I spoke with the racing office at Laurel
Although they’re getting SNOW ❄️ ⛄️ ❄️
Today - tomorrow and Friday
He felt fairly optimistic that Saturday will be OK

U CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER
BUT YA CANT MAKE HER FISH

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 02-17-2021, 04:07 PM
Golden Gate

Good news! Thanks, Ruffian!
Old 02-17-2021, 06:57 PM
The Curragh

It’s very strange that DRF does NOT have Laurel racetrack listed
In the Stakes schedule for Saturday!

I called them about that this morning and it still has not been fixed

When I called back just now she said it takes them 24 hours to fix
You can imagine what I told her

Old 02-18-2021, 09:06 AM
The Curragh

Forecast for Saturday 02/20
Equidaly

Saturday 02/20 / 0 in
Mostly sunny skies.
High 33F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:06 AM
The Curragh

Just A Thought

BUENA VISTA R7 Santa Anita as Bonus
Since Lauel is just 9 Races

Old 02-18-2021, 11:52 AM
Havre de Grace

Sunny here in Hot Springs today and 31 degrees. The big warm-up has started. Hope that bodes well for our friends in Texas. Burst pipes, no heat or water, probably hard to prepare food. Truly a wintry nightmare. Just heard on the news that the insurance claims will far exceed the last hurricane that hit Texas. I hope that the powers that be down there can figure out what all went wrong and can take measures to prevent future occurrences. Feel extremely lucky that we here in Arkansas didn't suffer the same fate. Can't ever remember anything quite that bad. Sure I've been run out of my house (all electric) before, but nothing like as horrific as Texas has suffered and is still suffering.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:49 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
Sunny here in Hot Springs today and 31 degrees. The big warm-up has started. Hope that bodes well for our friends in Texas. Burst pipes, no heat or water, probably hard to prepare food. Truly a wintry nightmare. Just heard on the news that the insurance claims will far exceed the last hurricane that hit Texas. I hope that the powers that be down there can figure out what all went wrong and can take measures to prevent future occurrences. Feel extremely lucky that we here in Arkansas didn't suffer the same fate. Can't ever remember anything quite that bad. Sure I've been run out of my house (all electric) before, but nothing like as horrific as Texas has suffered and is still suffering.
Don had sent me a message asking that I pinch hit for him in posting the threads. He said that both he and Patty are well but their home was without power and did not expect it back soon. On Tuesday they were with their daughter and then had made hotel reservations. He did not expect to be playing in our contest this Saturday. I'm sure our thoughts are with them.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:35 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
Don had sent me a message asking that I pinch hit for him in posting the threads. He said that both he and Patty are well but their home was without power and did not expect it back soon. On Tuesday they were with their daughter and then had made hotel reservations. He did not expect to be playing in our contest this Saturday. I'm sure our thoughts are with them.
Good to hear. Sounds like they are OK.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
We are thawing out here, after weather nobody in Texas is used to. Many, many are still without power and running water. Plumbers are moving in from neighboring states to handle the huge load of repairing burst water pipes. Insurance claims, if they have insurance, will be going through the roof. Most homes built in Texas don't account for this kind of weather when it comes to insulating and properly locating water lines.

They suspected fire water (sprinkler) leaks in part of our apartment complex so we had not water after we got back from my daughters house for a day and a half. I was never so happy when the water was flowing and I could flush the toilet with something other than melted snow. We are OK compared to many still feeling the ugly results of this crazy, chilling blast.

The major power generation and distribution companies, most are privately owned, will be under great scrutiny. Law suites may prevail, heads may roll . . . people have died due to the bitter cold. It could have and should have been handled much better. There were warnings days ahead that obviously were not taken seriously. Even the Farmer's Almanac predicted an extremely frigid weather event almost to the day.

When's the last time anyone read the Farmer's Almanac and if so took anything in there as gospel??? And I won't say anything about the failure of our State and local government "leaders" to actually lead, whom I did not vote for (on a personal basis that is) . . . I hate politics!!!

We'll slowly climb to the mid 50's the next few days and mid to high 60's next week. I'm getting out my shorts and flip flops : Thanks for thinking of DG and spouse The last 4 days were no fun at all (coulda been worse) but better times and warmer weather will slowly melt the sting away . . . for us at least.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:09 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
We are thawing out here, after weather nobody in Texas is used to. Many, many are still without power and running water. Plumbers are moving in from neighboring states to handle the huge load of repairing burst water pipes. Insurance claims, if they have insurance, will be going through the roof. Most homes built in Texas don't account for this kind of weather when it comes to insulating and properly locating water lines.

They suspected fire water (sprinkler) leaks in part of our apartment complex so we had not water after we got back from my daughters house for a day and a half. I was never so happy when the water was flowing and I could flush the toilet with something other than melted snow. We are OK compared to many still feeling the ugly results of this crazy, chilling blast.

The major power generation and distribution companies, most are privately owned, will be under great scrutiny. Law suites may prevail, heads may roll . . . people have died due to the bitter cold. It could have and should have been handled much better. There were warnings days ahead that obviously were not taken seriously. Even the Farmer's Almanac predicted an extremely frigid weather event almost to the day.

When's the last time anyone read the Farmer's Almanac and if so took anything in there as gospel??? And I won't say anything about the failure of our State and local government "leaders" to actually lead, whom I did not vote for (on a personal basis that is) . . . I hate politics!!!

We'll slowly climb to the mid 50's the next few days and mid to high 60's next week. I'm getting out my shorts and flip flops : Thanks for thinking of DG and spouse The last 4 days were no fun at all (coulda been worse) but better times and warmer weather will slowly melt the sting away . . . for us at least.
Happy to see that you are safe and well. We were worried about you.

Will Texans forgive your junior Senator for his Cancun escapade or will that blunder come back to haunt him?

Last edited by DonGuido : 02-20-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:28 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Happy to see that you are safe and well. We were worried about you.

Will Texans forgive your junior Senator for his Cancun escapade or will that blunder come back to haunt him?
We can only hope that he's been stung by a killer bee and not a honey bee. And we'll hope there will be a big BLUE moon shining overTexas eventually!!!