Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
The reason why everyone knows Dutrow is a cheater is because what happens when he claims horses or takes them from other trainers.
I have NO doubt at all that Dutrow is a cheater.

Quote:
A good trainer can move a horse up a little, but he certainly can't move him up 15-20 beyer numbers.
Really?

How would you assess the two trainers of this horse? By your definition, the second trainer is most likely a cheater when they jumped the horse up 20 points after one race ! :

Beyers: 41-67-44-60-70 - new trainer - 64-84-91-86-85
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts

Last edited by Riot : 11-05-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles
No, only those that win.
You're overlooking Jamie Sanders.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Benevolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
You're overlooking Jamie Sanders.
Take out T-burg and she is something like 0 for 200.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I looked at my trainer and asked how he went. The response was "I don't know - I didn't work him".
Just fills one with confidence in the sport, doesn't it
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 11-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
I have NO doubt at all that Dutrow is a cheater.

Really?

How would you assess the two trainers of this horse? By your definition, the second trainer is most likely a cheater when they jumped the horse up 20 points after one race ! :

Beyers: 41-67-44-60-70 - new trainer - 64-84-91-86-85
Trick question
Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Trick question
Have some pie
Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Keeneland

Finally - trainer named Jim calls in to ATR and complains about the "guilty until proven innocent" mindset of many.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Les Bois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Finally - trainer named Jim calls in to ATR and complains about the "guilty until proven innocent" mindset of many.
Yeah, that's probably the best way to look at it

Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Saratoga

Byk, I don't want to call in, can you please ask him WHO is actually administering these drugs on race day? Assistant trainers/trainers/bad vets?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 PM
The Curragh

Great half hour, Steve. You did right by asking the question flat out, and I appreciated his forthright answer.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer
Great half hour, Steve. You did right by asking the question flat out, and I appreciated his forthright answer.

100% agree..very good show.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 AM
The Curragh

In my opinion, there are only 2 possible ways the solutions to the problem that were brought up yesterday can be implemented:

First off, the fans, aka bettors, must somehow come together and lobby for a "Commissioner", and extreme penalties.

Secondly, and this is the one that I don't really understand why it hasn't happened already, is the "Clean" trainers, the guys who are doing things the right way, who have lost the most and have the most to lose, (if they are as large a majority as we are want to believe) need to stand together and demand this be done!

As in baseball, where due to the juicers, everyone who hits a check-swing, opposite field home run is now suspect, so to in horse racing, where all the higher percentage trainers, rightly or wrongly, are now suspect DUE to the "handfull" who are pushing the envelope (CHEATING).
Perhaps, somehow Steve can lead the 2 groups together, using this website and ATR!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
First off, the fans, aka bettors, must somehow come together and lobby for a "Commissioner", and extreme penalties.
Somebody in the industry needs to be a spearhead for this (and be willing to take the shots). NTRA as the basis? Um, well ....

I have no idea what's happening within the industry regarding this, if the people who could make it happen are agreeing it's necessary. It would mean everybody giving up a good portion of their individual kingdoms. Willingness to adopt the model rules regarding drugs everywhere could be a start.

I agree that bettors and fans could be a driving outside force in this effort.

Quote:
Secondly, and this is the one that I don't really understand why it hasn't happened already, is the "Clean" trainers, the guys who are doing things the right way, who have lost the most and have the most to lose, (if they are as large a majority as we are want to believe) need to stand together and demand this be done!
I think most folks who follow the law of the land and are good citizens on any level simply concentrate on their day-to-day lives, and let the outliers get what they deserve. Where does the day-to-day horseman have a strong voice, really, as a cohesive group, within the industry?

Quote:
As in baseball, where due to the juicers, everyone who hits a check-swing, opposite field home run is now suspect, so to in horse racing, where all the higher percentage trainers, rightly or wrongly, are now suspect DUE to the "handfull" who are pushing the envelope (CHEATING).
Where I have seen this the most is from people most removed from direct contact with the industry, those with the littlest factual knowledge of it.

Quote:
Perhaps, somehow Steve can lead the 2 groups together, using this website and ATR!
I'm interested in Woodbine's response to Allday's allegations, and the New Jersey Racing Commission - apparently there is no interest in pursuing the matter of that horse winning that race under false pretenses? Is something happening behind the scenes, or it being treated as "over and done with, happened two years ago". Steve?