Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Havre de Grace

Default dead 50 in Chicago

unbelievable.....after watching painful things on You Tube from Santa Clara shows....the dead actually pull it off. The crowd brought its A game and the band fed off the incredible energy brought forth to play much better than they are capable of playing. Certainly better than in recent memory. So good in so many ways. Song selection was spot on. Not some greatest hits bullshit, but well thought out elegant songs. The crowd was so pumped that even Bruce played and sang well. trey was surpisingly excellent, though it was a wicked clam he played during terrapin station for the terrapin nation.

Cubs game > dead show
Arlington Park > dead show
drive around Halstead st calling people punks trying to draw gunfire> dead show

4th of July weekend in Chicago.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Louisiana Downs

It started in Cincinnati in 1972. Down one night from school, we came looking for tickets along the riverfront in a city park not far from the venue. There in a sea of Deadheads hours before the show was the mesmerizing source of the ticket I needed. She was almost impossible to take my eyes off of. It was hard to put my finger on what it was that made her so captivating. Her eyes? Her hair? The fact that she was so whacked out of her skull on acid that she needed the tree she was leaning on to stay upright? No matter, she had the ticket I wanted and at the bargain basement steal of $3, I was quick to make the purchase. After handing her a five, the girl had a hell of a time finding the $2 change. For the life of her she couldn't find two dollars to save her soul. Not in her purse, not in her shirt pocket and certainly not in her back pants pocket. I knew that wasn't going to happen. She didn't have any pockets. She was buck naked.

As with most GD shows, the weird and the strange were always close by. Last night was no different. On the way to Soldier Field through Grant Park were venders who were damn near stampeded as they barely kept up with the demand for the $20 balloons filled with nitrous oxide which they were peddling. Back in the day, the Deadheads who followed the band from city to city could scrounge up a free grilled cheese sandwich for...........well...... for free. This weekend, the same weary Deadhead traveler could muster up a bite-size snack of two shrimp and lobster tacos with cilantro, onions and lettuce with gluten-free shells, near the Club Level seating, for only $28.

From that first show 43 years ago to the final one last night with God knows how many in between, the performances, the crowds, the atmosphere and the energy will always be remembered. Everyone has their favorite band. This one was mine. This following started with college friends in Ohio four decades ago. It ended with on a spectacular summer night on the Chicago lakefront with family and friends listening to an equally spectacular concert. Couldn't script a better ending.

Fare thee well, old friends. Fare thee well.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
unbelievable.....after watching painful things on You Tube from Santa Clara shows....the dead actually pull it off. The crowd brought its A game and the band fed off the incredible energy brought forth to play much better than they are capable of playing. Certainly better than in recent memory. So good in so many ways. Song selection was spot on. Not some greatest hits bullshit, but well thought out elegant songs. The crowd was so pumped that even Bruce played and sang well. trey was surpisingly excellent, though it was a wicked clam he played during terrapin station for the terrapin nation.

Cubs game > dead show
Arlington Park > dead show
drive around Halstead st calling people punks trying to draw gunfire> dead show

4th of July weekend in Chicago.
When I read thread title I thought Steve had posted his weekly Chicago shooting total from above in the wrong thread
Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Havre de Grace

congrats on reading the thread...that's probably the only thing that made anyone read. The price of being worst poster in recent history
Old 07-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Oaklawn

What an incredible time in Chicago this past weekend!
Get ready for the fall.
Bobby, Mickey, Bill, Jeff W/ Mike Gordon on Bass and John Mayer on guitar.
Already confirmed with no date released are:
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Air Canada Centre

You know there will be Boston, New York (MSG), and Philly. Probably 8-10 shows.
And before you say WTF John Mayer?

Check out www.youtube.com and type search: Phil Lesh w/ John Mayer, Morning Dew. About a 5 min clip. Mayer rips it up!!!
Old 07-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Del Mar

Listen and OK but caught this on the page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUeho304b0

Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogadew View Post
What an incredible time in Chicago this past weekend!
Get ready for the fall.
Bobby, Mickey, Bill, Jeff W/ Mike Gordon on Bass and John Mayer on guitar.
Already confirmed with no date released are:
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Air Canada Centre

You know there will be Boston, New York (MSG), and Philly. Probably 8-10 shows.
And before you say WTF John Mayer?

Check out www.youtube.com and type search: Phil Lesh w/ John Mayer, Morning Dew. About a 5 min clip. Mayer rips it up!!!
Old 07-12-2015, 02:31 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's twin View Post
It started in Cincinnati in 1972. Down one night from school, we came looking for tickets along the riverfront in a city park not far from the venue. There in a sea of Deadheads hours before the show was the mesmerizing source of the ticket I needed. She was almost impossible to take my eyes off of. It was hard to put my finger on what it was that made her so captivating. Her eyes? Her hair? The fact that she was so whacked out of her skull on acid that she needed the tree she was leaning on to stay upright? No matter, she had the ticket I wanted and at the bargain basement steal of $3, I was quick to make the purchase. After handing her a five, the girl had a hell of a time finding the $2 change. For the life of her she couldn't find two dollars to save her soul. Not in her purse, not in her shirt pocket and certainly not in her back pants pocket. I knew that wasn't going to happen. She didn't have any pockets. She was buck naked.

As with most GD shows, the weird and the strange were always close by. Last night was no different. On the way to Soldier Field through Grant Park were venders who were damn near stampeded as they barely kept up with the demand for the $20 balloons filled with nitrous oxide which they were peddling. Back in the day, the Deadheads who followed the band from city to city could scrounge up a free grilled cheese sandwich for...........well...... for free. This weekend, the same weary Deadhead traveler could muster up a bite-size snack of two shrimp and lobster tacos with cilantro, onions and lettuce with gluten-free shells, near the Club Level seating, for only $28.

From that first show 43 years ago to the final one last night with God knows how many in between, the performances, the crowds, the atmosphere and the energy will always be remembered. Everyone has their favorite band. This one was mine. This following started with college friends in Ohio four decades ago. It ended with on a spectacular summer night on the Chicago lakefront with family and friends listening to an equally spectacular concert. Couldn't script a better ending.

Fare thee well, old friends. Fare thee well.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Randwyck

Late to the thread..saw the shows at the theatre. Thought July 4 was by far the best. Phil singing lead on some of the times was awful. Trey was great..bruce great..bobby seemed like he had enough as well as Billy...well Mickey was mickey
Old 02-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Oaklawn

Dead and Company Summer Tour announced.
Citi Field, Fenway Park, SPAC on the menu.
www.deadandcompany.com
Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Randwyck

Yeah Pittsburgh!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:48 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
When I read thread title I thought Steve had posted his weekly Chicago shooting total from above in the wrong thread
When this thread got bumped this week I had a jolt when I saw it, for the same reason.

Oh, Steve. I'm sorry you're not here for this primary election. You continue to be missed.