View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 12:33 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
I ask this question because of what we saw in the Breeders’ Cup. As a fan, I was really hoping to see Bricks and Mortar and Midnight Bisou in the Classic. I knew it wouldn’t happen and I don’t blame the owners for not choosing to do so. But I don’t think it makes me wrong to want to see what might happen. When the day finished, what I learned about Bricks is that he is the best turf horse in the country. I kinda knew that going into the day. Had they taken on the challenge of the Classic and lost, I’d still know he was the best grass horse in America.
Bricks and Mortar, who had never been 12 furlongs until Saturday, just staved off a modest CA-based gelding to get the win, and the key rival, Derby winner Anthony Van Dyck was in tight and nearly clipped heels just as he was charging at the leaders.

Midnight Bisou, always suspect at 9 furlongs, didn't even win the Distaff.

That said, I would have loved to have seen Bricks and Mortar in the Classic--win or lose--just to avoid hearing that screeched, tacky pre-scripted line from the announcer about being "built like a champion" after he edged a 50-1 shot.

Quote:
Why is it horsemen from other countries are so willing to step out of comfort zones and run their horses like Swain, Giants Causeway, Sakhee, Galileo, etc in the Classic when they could have opted to take the safer and probably easier path in the Turf?
Godolphin and Coolmore suffer from an embarrassment of riches. And want to pad stud fees if possible.

The 6yo Swain had already nearly beaten Silver Charm in the Dubai World Cup a few months prior to the Classic. He had also tanked in the BC Turf a couple of years earlier.

Giant's Causeway had never tried 12 furlongs and Coolmore already had the great Montjeu in the Turf.

When Sakhee and Galileo contested the Classic, Godolphin and Coolmore had major winner Fantastic Light (who had spoiled Galileo's unbeaten record one race prior) and St. Leger winner Milan in the Turf, respectively. They ran 1-2.