View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
The study that initially demonized saturated fats, the authors were later caught for falsifying their data.

In which manner did they falsify their data, you might ask?

They used trans fats in place of saturated fats (in tests) to justify the use of trans fats to replace saturated fats in the American diet!

You cannot make this stuff up!

As for the studies you mention? Keep in mind most 'meat' animals in this country are raised on mostly grain based diets. Grains (I am including seeds as well) are loaded with polyunsaturated fats, which are beyond any shadow of a doubt HORRIBLE for you. Studies purporting to espouse the health benefits of PUFAs (poly unsaturated fatty acids) are invariably funded by groups that make a lot of money from growing corn, rapeseed, etc..

Ornish's study has been thoroughly debunked.

I urge you to read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, head of the Weston A. Price foundation. Get it on Amazon.

I know far too many people that have remarkably improved their health by ditching veggie oils and going back to our more traditional type of diet, the ones our ancestors would have eaten.

Remember, all of these Western style diseases (heart disease, diabetes, etc..) didn't go epidemic until shortly after the food pyramid was introduced and saturated fats were demonized.

One of the main targets of those initial studies was coconut oil! Coconut oil is great stuff. You can eat coconut oil to lose weight, it fights infection and also provides quick energy. It also is highly resistant to oxidation which makes it a great choice for cooking oil.

With any polyunsaturated fatty acid that you buy in the store, you are buying rancid fats before you even open it. I mean rancid in the chemical sense, in that the oil is badly oxidized well before it reaches the consumer. This is not even debatable.

Oxidized oils are cancer and heart disease in a bottle.
My understanding is that there is a huge difference between grass-fed meat and the grain-fed meat that 99.999% of us eat. I have heard that grass-fed meat is not bad for you at all.