View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
This is over-the-top. The equine physical apparatus has not changed in this timeframe. You will drive the sport into a complete nosedive once you "discard" the essential fact that the racehorse is a living, breathing animal. Never mind solidifying 4-5 horse fields.

Am I crazy, but are we supposed to be happy Pavel ran off-the-board (and almost beat two classic winners) simply because for about a furlong, he displayed the talent that was apparent in his previous race?

The race was a complete waste. It certainly didn't set him up for a big race in the Travers.
My point was that if this was a nw1x race at the same distance on this same track and date, would you have a problem with it. I'm wondering if your issue was more with the conditions or with the supposed class of the race? If it was with the class, I'm saying there was no need to worry because the class wasn't really as classy as the level would have suggested. I think in many cases, where we would expect to see the old, logical progressions, it's wasted opportunity because the difference between the good and the bad is razor thin and getting smaller each year. With shorter and shorter careers, might as well throw them in deep early.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine