View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
I'm aware of the records of both Unbridled and Black Tie Affair as well as those other instances you mentioned where good routers beat good sprinters. I never said Housebuster wasn't good. I said those were the reasons why I could not put in in a conversation with the best sprinters. As I also said, in this country, even though 7f is a sprint and even one-turn miles like the Met are considered sprints by some, 6f is the main distance one must excel at to be a champion sprinter. It's just like with humans, 200m is a sprint race. Even 400m is a sprint race. But the 100m champion is the one generally considered the fastest man in the world.
This is interesting, because unfortunately, as you mentioned, Housebuster only ran twice at the 6f distance following his 3yo campaign (for the record, he won a little 6f stakes at 2 and the 6f Spectacular Bid at GP at 3)..

You say that Housebuster failed in his most important sprint test, I presume the '91 BC Sprint. Of course, Housebuster broke down in the race necessitating a leg brace and removal from the track via the horse ambulance. Perhaps we should let that race slide just this one time and turn our attention to the one 6f race he did compete in, namely the '91 Frank De Francis Dash.

Pitted against Housebuster, who had only won the Carter at that point, was1989 sprint champion Safely Kept 3 for 3 on the year. Also shipping in was Clever Trevor, reformed as a sprinter, and 2 for 2 on the year, both in stakes events. From the West Coast, the streaking Robyn Dancer, also 3 for 3 on the year setting a world record and fresh off an 8-length romp in the Triple Bend at Hollywood. D. Wayne Lukas had Sunny Blossom, the 6f track record holder at Santa Anita, entered of several placings in important sprints earlier in the year. The other entrant was Bravely Bold, who took down 4 stakes on the year. He ended up breaking down badly in the race.

Housebuster romped by 5, just shy of the 6f mark at Laurel. Safely Kept missed the break, but was spared having to battle torrid fractions set by Bravely Bold and Sunny Blossom.

Does this make him one of the all-time great sprinters? I guess it's debateable. But since you found cause to throw King Glorious's name in the ring, himself having just two 6f races to his credit (one a Grade 3 in June of his 2yo year, the other a Cal-bred $50k stakes with 3 horses in February of his 3yo year), I'm not so sure you should be campaigning with such fervor to strike Housebuster's name from the discussion.