View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Unbridled was unbeaten in 3 one-turn races following his Kentucky Derby score. Housebuster was coming off a 6-month layoff precipitated by an ankle injury.

As for Black Tie Affair, he was a well-established sprinter at the time he defeated Housebuster. In fact, that was his second victory in the Commonwealth, having won the previous year. He was also 3rd in the '90 BC Sprint and ran in the race in 1989 as well.

Just more proof that horses with stamina are inherently superior to sprinters, but I certainly wouldn't knock Housebuster as a sprinter because he lost to that pair.

Dixie Union beat Caller One. Pleasant Tap beat Cardmania. Dancing Spree beat Safely Kept.
I'm aware of the records of both Unbridled and Black Tie Affair as well as those other instances you mentioned where good routers beat good sprinters. I never said Housebuster wasn't good. I said those were the reasons why I could not put in in a conversation with the best sprinters. As I also said, in this country, even though 7f is a sprint and even one-turn miles like the Met are considered sprints by some, 6f is the main distance one must excel at to be a champion sprinter. It's just like with humans, 200m is a sprint race. Even 400m is a sprint race. But the 100m champion is the one generally considered the fastest man in the world.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine