View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Chinook Pass was a favorite of mine. But like the mighty Lord pointed out, he was far from consistent. His best race by far was the 83 Bing Crosby at Del Mar. A friend of mine who did beyer numbers before they were published has that race as his highest rating of any sprint back in the day. I believe he gave him a 128 that day.
I don't have the information needed right now to attempt any figures for him -- but I have no doubt he had a few killer figures -- especially the Bing Crosby where he got loose by 3 lengths at the 1st call and 5 at the half en route to an 8 length win. That Bing Crosby win also came as a 4-year-old.

Horses with his style that want to run-off and don't like pace pressure are capable of doing some very freaky things on speed figures on the days when they carry their speed the distance and when the track is speed friendly or inside speed-biased.

Gun Bow and Coaltown had races as a 4-year-old that are faster than anything I've seen. Both horses are great hall of famers -- but they were complete run-off types and had some bad performances scattered around.

A very recent example might be like a Commentator. He wasn't a total run off -- but he didn't respond to pace pressure well. He was just 13-3-1-4 lifetime in Graded Stakes races ... but he also had run Beyers of 119, 121, and 123 and could run a giant race at any distance when loose. Horses like Curlin, and Invasor aren't going to catch Commentator on his days when he's loose and the track is kind to his style. But, obviously, their accomplishments on the track are wildly superior, mainly because they can use their speed more efficiently during a race.