View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 04:21 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Red Ransom was the one that got him (and/or Paul Mellon) to actually keep a horse in full training over the winter with an eye towards the Kentucky Derby rather than letting down in Aiken.

Of course, that didn't go very well and to read Andy Beyer's account of the affair one might think that Miller intentionally eighty-sixed that horse's Triple Crown aspirations (left the horse with an assistant, entered the horse in February against older horses, fired the jockey for working "too fast", then said he hadn't train the horse enough when it got beat at 2-5 a couple of weeks later).

He abandoned Sea Hero in the winter, too, leaving him with Scotty Schulhofer and tried to keep the horse on the grass after a series of drubbings but was overruled by the owner. Perhaps only the inane program utilized by the Animal Kingdom people was more "innovative" in producing a Derby victory...
You're so full of great anecdotes. Love your posts. I remember Red Ransom. I was at the track the day he broke his maiden and set the track record. I thought he'd become a star.

I'm wondering about another horse from around that same period. I figure if anyone would know, either you or Andy would. Horse was named Grand Gala. I only remember a couple of starts but nothing else. Do you remember that horse? I want to say it was a Phipps horse but I'm not sure.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine