View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 03:35 AM
Steve Byk

GARY YOUNG'S CLOCKING NOTES

April 27

Audible 12:1 24:1 49:2 gallop out 1.02

Worked in company with National Flag and proved slightly best to mild urging under Javier Castellano. He is a notoriously unwilling worker, but hey, give him credit for knowing practice from game day. Besides, the same could be said for a lot of us. Bottom line is he brings it when it counts and nothing in this work makes me think he won't on Derby Day.

Vino Rosso 11:4 23:2 47:1 gallop out 1.00:2 1.13:4

Worked outside of Outplay and these two left the pole running and clipped of sub 12 1/8's of a mile in 3 of the 4 furlongs of the work with Vino edging clear late under Johnny V. I like this colt and though he won't be my top pick, I can definitely see him hitting the board for The Godfather.

Magnum Moon 12:2 23:4 47:2 out 1.00:2

Worked inside of stablemate Maraud and proved best under mild urging He seemed rather controllable today but his lack of power steering down the stretch in his last 2 races, particularly in the Arkansas Derby is concerning. It is highly concerning and he most likely can't run crooked in the lane and win this Derby.

Lone Sailor 23;4 48 out 1.00:4

Had a serious drill and did respond to urging here. The prep he exits was the least visually appealing in this observer's eyes and he will spend cinco de mayo getting hot and dirty.

Wonder Gadot 23:4 48 out 1.00:4

Looked terrific finishing in full stride with a real nice energy to her. This year the Oaks is most likely a showdown between the 2 favorites, but an exacta box comprising of them is highly unlikely to pay your expenses so if you feel like going for value, Gadot could oblige.

Post Script

Today's Derby works at Churchill Downs were of high caliber colts but 3 time zones away a massive red horse named Justify put in his final Derby prep. This horse is a beast. While this years rendition is light years better than lasts, I have not been shy about the unreal ability this colt has and it's highly unlikely I will pick against him May 5.