Thread: My Derby Top 10
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 09:38 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
No Cyberknife?
I’m looking at Cyberknife a little closer today.

In the race where he broke his maiden on 12/26, he stumbled slightly at the start, went 3 wide the whole race, made a move around the turn and held off a late surge from the runner up. No clue how good the 2nd place finisher is as he took a few months off and came back to finish 3rd in a 7f race at Keeneland in the slop and then 2nd in a 10f race at Churchill in the slop. BUT Cyberknife’s final time was .71 seconds slower than Epicenter in the Gun Runner that same day at Fair Grounds.

Then if you look at his OC race on Risen Star day, he finished 8.5f in 1:42.53. That would have been good enough for 3rd place in the Mineshaft (on final time alone) and I think would have put him pretty close to Epicenter in the Risen Star. Granted, that’s not really a perfect way to look at it, but it does make me wonder if he’s been underrated for a while now. Those two races seem to stack up nicely against one of the Derby favorites.

The Arkansas Derby he showed that he could continue to improve. He was close to a pretty fast pace and seemed to unnecessarily make an early move on the backstretch (it gave him position going into the stretch so maybe not unnecessary but probably not ideal) and was still able to stay clear in the stretch.

He’s working very well. He’s not my top choice but he is definitely intriguing. Note his top races before the Arkansas Derby were with lasix so that’s one thing to keep in mind.