View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
this horse has shown time and time again that he is a fighter...those are also the types that tolerate pain and don't really show when they are hurting until it gets REALLY bad...the fact that the hospital says he is 'acceptably comfortable' means so much more than his owners saying he is 'in no pain'...they sound as though they are in denial.

I've worked with horses hands on for a long time...many years were spent with Morgans...a breed that sees a lot of laminitis...I've lost horses and seen horses survive...but the cost (and I'm not talking about $$) is great...in salvaging the animal's life we robbed it of the essense of being a horse...that is to graze freely and to run around in a pasture...for the remainder of their lives the disease would recur at various times...causing more pain and dietary and execise restrictions...

though I understand the emotional desire to save them all I have arrived at the opinion that it is usually kinder to let them go...and the laminitis coupled with the fracture makes Barbaros future uncertain at best and likely not the most comfortable or fulfilling existance...I have to say that I agree with Randy...I think that intially the Jacksons were doing the right thing for the right reason, and that now they are doing the wrong thing for the right reason...I don't doubt for a moment that they have the best intentions but sometimes the hardest decision to make is ultimately the right one....JMO
Interesting, I too grew up around Morgans and had several friends in the Pony Club and 4-H that had them as well and never once heard of them having a laminitis problem.

As for Barbaro, the people in New Bolton know what is best for the horse. Patient by patient case...just like people should be treated.