View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Balletto

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Yeah don't even get me started on fools who think Big Red was a "disappointment" as a stallion. He is without a doubt one of the top broodmare sires in the history of the sport. No question about that.
However that is not all he did, he also sired some great runners himself. His top two on the track were obviously Risen Star and Lady's Secret, and I think I would put those two up against the top colt and filly performers from almost any sire around.
Even his second-tier runners were multiple grade 1 winners like Tinners Way and General Assembly. You add those kind of on the track performances with his absolutley amazing success as a broodmare sire and Secretariat was without question a breed-changing type stallion.
He saw some of the best mares in his day... so yes, a breed changing stallion, but his book afforded him all the success in the world. Its not just him carrying on through his daughters... those families are whats helping him. Either way though, gotta love him and worship him as a broodmare sire of sires.