View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 10:36 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
you routinely hear Beyer defend the big figs from the past, that said other figure makers seem to disagree that horses are getting slower? I think CJ's figs are higher of course he takes pace into account. I dont follow Jerry Brown but he also seems to digree from Beyer in that horses are slower in 2020 than they were 25 years ago? some suggest the tracks are deeper? How the heck would anyone save a trainer or super know for sure? These are interesting conversations to have, I have no problem challenging Fig orthodoxy, sometimes they break out races, sometimes they make artful assumptions, it ain't perfect or is it meant to be. But the random "I think its a tad light" stuff is comical.
What’s really comical is that these beyer numbers, which have gotten significantly lower over the years, can’t really compare hosses from past to present. Who decided that they should be so much lower ? That filly ran 1:53.2. If they went another 1/16 she most likely shades 2:00 for a mile and a quarter. Is that another 105 ? I mean if figures now can’t be compared to the past, what good are they in a historic sense ? They’re not. They are the most overrated thing out there. If you couldn’t see that authentic and the filly were motoring home, you don’t know what you’re watching. 105 .....pfff