View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 11:36 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Not good comparisons. I'm no expert on their careers, but I presume all those players displayed multiple talents and skills to earn their reputations despite abbreviated careers. They weren't limited to being adept at just one thing.

Charlatan is a brilliant sprinter that has yet to stretch out to any great effect. He has shown no versatility, little courage, and no ability to relax in the early stages or overcome adversity. I guess you can he doesn't completely fold under pressure, though. And he ships well.

To this point he's like a pitcher that can throw a 100 mph fastball but has no control and can't pitch a complete game.

You're probably right, but he will probably have to run more than twice.

As it stands now I would speculate the earliest we will see him is in the Alysheba in May. That's an 8.5 furlong, non-grade 1 carded on a day when Churchill Downs is invariably tailored to be speed-oriented, so it probably won't answer too many questions in the Charlataniad aside from whether or not our hero can overcome the dreaded First Turn.

But really, with limited time on his side, he needs to go for the Met Mile, Whitney, and Woodward or Goodwood to confirm his reputation and his purported abilities.
You're giving him more credit than I am. I wouldn't even call him a brilliant sprinter. King Glorious, Lost in the Fog, Artax, Safely Kept, those were brilliant sprinters. But I think calling him brilliant off of beating Nashville, who I did think was very good but obviously failed his class test, was a little less impressive than his Saudi Arabian effort.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine