Thread: 2018 US Open
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Del Mar

I've been watching a little bit today. From what I've seen today, I like the way the USGA set up this course. These are perfect US Open conditions IMO. The course is very tough, but fair. The rough is very deep, as it should be for a US Open.

I actually wish they had deeper rough in non-majors. Many of the courses that they play these days have very little rough. I don't like it when the long hitters are bombing the ball 70 yards off line and getting away with it. There should be some consequence to not driving it straight. I think that week in and week out nowadays on the tour, driving distance is rewarded a lot more than driving accuracy. It obviously depends on the course, but nowadays it seems that far more of the courses they play favor driving distance over accuracy. It may partially be because they think that is what the fans want to see. The fans want to see DJ bomb it out there 340 yards. They don't want him to have to lay up with an iron. Anyway, I would like to see it be at least a 50/50 thing where driving accuracy is at least as important as driving distance, if not more.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 06-15-2018 at 05:13 PM.