View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 01:57 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
I don't think they're making excuses; I think the TC is harder to win now because there are so many more horses in each of the races. I'm not saying Secretariat wasn't one of the greatest to look through a bridle (and certainly not comparing AP to him in any way), but he only had 3 challengers in the Belmont. It's much easier for a great horse to run a great race when there's only 3 you have to beat. If Smarty or Chrome had only faced 3 other horses, would they have won? If the KD was capped at 14, would Afleet Alex be a TC winner? Obviously no one can know, but certainly their chances would have been much higher. But, as has been pointed out, Smarty Jones defeated more horses in losing the TC than any actual TC winner ever did, and I think that can't be discounted as a factor in why it's been impossible to win the past few decades.
some good points. it's tough; after winning two very coveted races in a two week time span, you have to come back and win a race that's very difficult tactically...going longer than ever before. i thought American Pharaoh would win the derby and preakness and then lose the belmont. i really hope i'm wrong. i want to see him win it.