View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
This is mostly sour grapes on his part, but did the connections of the Argentinian horse really think they were going to stalk Game on Dude through insane fractions and be successful? Mystery Train was beaten by almost 50 lengths in the end.

This is one of the perils of having a one-dimensional horse, and in this case Baffert is pissed because someone essentially entered a rabbit. He can call Nick Zito and ask him how it feels to have a speed horse have to face two rabbits.
I wrote this in the playalong thread when I got home last night, but that's the running style of the horse in Argentina. The horse is as one-dimensional as Game on Dude, so why should things change here? He's not a rabbit; he wasn't setting it up for anything else. He just ran his race, and in fact I applaud the connections (I know he was bought) for not being timid and trying to win in the same manner in which he has been doing. It's easy to say he could/would have run better if he rated, but then you're asking him to take up a new style in the biggest race of his life. The same way Game on Dude usually fails when he doesn't get it easy and/or his own way up front, Mystery Train did too. He just stopped much more emphatically so it looks worse. If Game on Dude was brought to Argentina and was rated behind a loose leader, people here would be going bonkers at those race tactics.