View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
I think he's done. I mean at least he.broke today, so that was a positive. But the 2 outran him fair and square. Then the 6 beats them all. Bayern is a little like Commentator, they both were hit or miss, and needed things to go there way. When things did they both could run monster races.
Commentator's issue was mostly soundness. Although he could be beaten in a heated duel (like the sub :44 half in the Tom Fool) or when hounded by rabbits (Woodward), he certainly held his own or overcame strong pace setups numbers times.

If you follow his race record, you will note that most of his losses were succeeded by layoffs on average of about 6 months. I believe he had an old shin fracture, and those often limit the number of starts a horse can make in one season, but they tend not to affect a horse's class or ability. Fortunately, he was gelded, so he was often brought back to the races.

Bayern on the other hand, has folded like a cheap suit repeatedly, and more so this year than last. Perhaps whatever held him back from making his 4yo debut this year has also caused him to lose a step (or two).