View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 09:31 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavalOrange View Post
I posted this in Churchill thread also:

Would the NY Pols consider getting Saratoga opened up in the late spring. NYC is not going to see relief from this for a while. It would make sense to go right up to Saratoga instead of Belmont. Start out with no fans and just try to get racing up in NY.
Several points to consider.

First, the cost of moving the downstate operation to Saratoga is large (housing, stipends, shipping) considering that there has been no money flowing for six weeks and counting. Without the fans in the stands, the revenue generated will be severely impacted.

Second, if there should be a continuing COVID-19 situation, the Capital District's ability to respond is fractional compared to downstate itself. Imagine people coming from across the country where a rolling apex is incomplete across all states.

Third, John Pricci reported (as a rumor) in the last 48 hours that New York will petition for reopening Belmont for studio racing in some form starting May 22nd, one week after the current Governor Cuomo shutdown. If we see bad results in the next three weeks or another growth in infection rates, you can expect the Governor to extend that May 15th date and therefore push out a potential Belmont opening.

Fourth, Saratoga's tighter spaces and social environment by its nature will make the social distancing discussion impossible. Until that piece is handled, there will be no fans at Saratoga.

So, it disappoints me, but there is no situation in which I see Saratoga operating this year for a (40-Day) meeting.