View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 10:10 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnunan4759 View Post
Wraps are a funny one. Many trainers use them routinely on the rear to prevent "run down" and injuring the skin. They are mainly protective and when you see the material, there is not a lot to them. They are not like an Ace bandage and cannot substantially improve support for an inherit condition. Most trainers avoid the fronts if not necessary because they require work and must be put on correctly and safely so as not to unravel during the race (which I've seen and is horrifying).

It used to be an old trainer angle with claimers that they would add front wraps and hope that would scare off potential claimers of the horse. Not sure that still holds.

Most often it is that the horse, because of his action and stride, will whack his legs with his other legs and the wraps help avoid cuts and scrapes.

One factor you didn't mention is First Time Gelding. Many states and tracks are lax on reporting this, but it can be an important factor. NYRA is about the best on reporting it correctly. Be careful when a horse is coming from another track and reported as a First Time Gelding in NY as it may have been a gelding for a while. I raced a gelding in PA for 5 years and he was a gelding and was always listed as a colt. I told them multiple times and nobody ever changed it.

Often it can effect positive behavioral and physical changes and resolve issues and/or problems. Not always, but sometimes.
That's a big one! Really can change a QTR horse immediately. Forgot "Mudders" in the wet and track bias too.........and don't forget those ridglings.