View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Yeah don't even get me started on fools who think Big Red was a "disappointment" as a stallion. He is without a doubt one of the top broodmare sires in the history of the sport. No question about that.
However that is not all he did, he also sired some great runners himself. His top two on the track were obviously Risen Star and Lady's Secret, and I think I would put those two up against the top colt and filly performers from almost any sire around.
Even his second-tier runners were multiple grade 1 winners like Tinners Way and General Assembly. You add those kind of on the track performances with his absolutley amazing success as a broodmare sire and Secretariat was without question a breed-changing type stallion.
Mira,
Both you and Balletto know a lot about peds.
So, here's something that I'm really interested in finding the answer to.
As some folks here know, my son is a geneticist working on his post doc in developmental heart research. To me, a few of mine have Secretariat in their lines.
Anyway...the question. Was it Blue Larkspur that threw the mutant gene for the enlarged heart? I think so, but my son and I have gone round and round on this. Your input would be greatly appreciated to resolve this developmental biology debate. What do you think?

btw, Alydar was a better broodmare sire than either Spectacular Bid or Affirmed imho.
Thanks,
DTS