View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
I thought the 4 should not have been taken down. Seemed to me that Lanerie first went for a hole that did not exist, then the 4 drifted out and the hole opened and Lanerie went for it but the 4 did come back over with the 5 pushing the 4 even further in. It was a tough call and I am not sure the 2 would have won going through what was barely a hole regardless.

Regardless, it is rare that you see a jock taken advantage of as badly as Lanerie was there and the truth is he should not have been in that position in the first place. He had plenty of time around the turn to get that horse out and probably wins the race if he does. That honestly was one of the worst rides I have ever seen by a jockey and Lanerie really should not get a quality mount at the Spa IMO.
Well, Moss, Pincay, and Bailey all seemed to think it was obvious the 4 was coming down. A lot of 'no surprise' comments. It felt like a matter of time before she did to me. Obviously the 5 stayed up, and I'd have to go back and watch him again, but wouldn't shock me if he came over trying to keep the 4 from letting the 2 go through. You know he could see her down there starting to push. Do it just enough to not get busted for interference, other guy gets blamed, your horse wins.

Watching the replay and head on, there was absolutely a hole there. Not a giant one, but enough for him to go through and, this is key, one that he was in the process of going through when contact occurred. A horse's body was partially in the space. You don't get to close off the hole. Too late. It's not Lanarie's fault Rosario can't keep his mount on the rail. We can agree to disagree, but I felt Fiftyshadesofgold could've won or if nothing else would've fairly close and on the board even if the others dug in. She deserved an on the board finish and lost momentum. No way does she finish 4th but for the interference.

Horses can and do push their way through, creating holes out of little room. See Wise Dan last time out. Does a horse less physically substantial than Union Rags come up through the rail in the Belmont? We're talking a 2yo filly here. No surprise that she didn't try to muscle on through. I really hope this doesn't make her shy about going up the inside in the future.