View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Churchill Downs

I had to think about this one... who have I admired and respected enough to call "my hero"? The one person I keep coming back to in my mind is my PT instructor in the CHP academy (I'm not a cop anymore but went through training back in '89). Sgt. Frank Governor pushed me harder than anyone in my life, he made me realize that I really could do anything I set my mind to. Sgt. Governor was your typical PT instructor, screaming at you, calling you a "by god embarassment" and other derogratory names if you didn't give your maximum effort... I blew out my knee half way through the academy and was really worried my police career was over before it even got started... before I went out on disability, Sgt. took me aside and told me in a quite voice that he expected to see me back in the academy, that I was tough and I would make a good cop. I worked my ass of rehabbing my torn ACL and cartilage and was back in the academy six months to the day after my surgery. I graduated and went to work in Central Los Angeles and never saw the Sgt. again... I really wished he knew just how important he was in my life. I am the person I am today because of him (and a few other people).

Thanks for the topic, I appreciate the memories