View Single Post
Old 05-08-2022, 10:36 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
As head scratching a result in a big race as I have ever seen. I just watched the replay a few times.

The winner ran. He really ran. Sure, he got a fantastic ride, but he somehow managed to run the race of his life when he needed it.

Epicenter got a perfect ride as well and ran his eyeballs out. To be that close and still be there, he did everything but win.

I think the decision to have Zandon more involved early cost them a Derby win. Easy to say it now, but he did not have the same kick and not going by Epicenter when he looked loaded around the turn tells me he used too much energy early.

The other closers have no real excuse. Simplification ran well but is a cut below the best. Mo Donegal had no excuse. I thought his ride was fine. Heading into the turn, Rich Strike quickened faster than he did. Around the turn, Irad had the choice to follow him or go around. He went around and maybe in hindsight had he followed him he could have found room, but he also might not have. Either way, I'm not sure it mattered.

I thought Tawny Port ran huge. He got a perfect ride as well and while I'm not sure he wants to go this far, is much better than I thought.

Fun race where the winner was impossible to come up with. Happens everyday. Just not usually in our biggest races.
I thought Zozos ran really well also. 30 grand becomes 5 million in 9 months for the connections, somebody hit the horsey lottery.